Unknown objects

THIS I SENT TO SUPPORT.If someone else feels the same feel free to join the choir..This is more of a feature request than a support issue.I constantly get drawings from my customers containing unknown objects.Walls etc (suppose they ar from ADT or something)These entities can only be viewed not exploded or referenced to.NOWWould it be possible to make them at least snappableor preferably explodable after a warning.The graphics is there so I assume this could be done.I need to use the contours and sometimes dimension them.Today I cant do anything.Kind regardsPatrik Sparrman

Comments

• I have never had that. Are you sure they are not on a locked layer or not "flat" or part of a block? What does Properties say if you select "all"? Maybe that would pick them up and give them a name.

• These 'unknown' entities are so called 'proxy' entities, which is the common name for all non-dwg entities. Such entities are displayed using an image and therfore they are not snapable and cannot be exploded. Whether the image displays or not is controlled through the PROXYGRAPHICS settings variable. If OFF a bounding box displays instead of the image.

• Actually, I should correct that. In the properties panel "unknown object" not only designates custom objects, but also some recently introduced entity types that only have basic support for now. Table and helix entities for example will be listed as unknown but they are not proxies. The properties panel will shortly be extended to show the entity type.

• I have noticed this with RText objects in V8 and V9....the Rtext works if it is created in Autocad and then opened in Bricscad, but in Bricscad it is listed as an Unknown Object, and cannot be manipulated.In an earlier V8 release it was possible to rotate, mirror, etc these objects, but at some point that was lost....

• I don't think RTEXT behaviour has changed in any way in Bricscad, but it's true that the properties panel still shows it as unknown, and rotating RTEXT does not work at the moment. Both issues will be fixed.

• Bringing this back to top.

This is really an issue for me. Is it a major thing to make the proxys explodable or snappable so tham I can trace them ? I constantly get drawings from different cutomers with walls written in ADT . I cant snap to them I cant change color, I cant explode. These drawings are basically useless.

Cheers Patrik

• This link may help (untested):
    http://blogs.rand.com/support/2011/03/how-to-remove-the-aecproxy-intelligence-from-your-drawing-file.html

An alternative that definitely works (tested on an ADT dwg):
    Save the drawing to Release 12. Of course this means losing a lot of 'modern' dwg intelligence such as associative hatches.
    I have only tried this using BC. Results may be better/different if this is done in AC.
    Results may also vary depending on how the ADT dwg was saved.

• The Open Design Alliance has in the past created DRX Object Enablers for Architectural Desktop Objects.  These enablers exist and can be loaded in Bricscad.  I have seen it, but I don't know if they are still available or supported. 

Without the enablers loaded, ADT 3D walls are seen in Bricscad as 'Proxy' objects.  With the enablers they become 'AEC_WALL' entities.  The enablers at least should allow you to explode the wall entities.  If working properly they should allow snapping to end points etc.  Anyone from Bricsys NV or ODA like to comment??

• @Damian,

we indeed have an ADT enabler prototype that needs a bit more work, we plan to make it available with V12 later this year (October). Probably it will come as a standalone installer and require an extra download, because it is a bit hefty and most users don't need it.

Best regards

• I have a drawing which definitely contains proxys (AEC objects, I've seen them in ACAD) but they are

neither displayed nor do I get a notice (PROXYSHOW and PROXYNOTICE are on). Audit reports no errors.

Is there a solution for this problem?

• @Hans

That is encouraging news. Is there any plans to support some of the other verticals, such as Civil 3D?

Verticals raise an interesting issue in that even many AutoCAD users are unaware of them, or unaware that they are using a vertical application. Verticals = confusion for most. A cynical view is that Locking off part of the .dwg file may be a way to lock users to that application, and lock out those that aren't prepare to pay.

it would be nice if features like eTransmit could be widened to inlude the exporting of this type of data to standard .dwg

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• we indeed have an ADT enabler prototype that needs a bit more work, we plan to make it available with V12 later this year (October). Probably it will come as a standalone installer and require an extra download, because it is a bit hefty and most users don't need it.

Did that ever happen? If so, how can I get the enabler?
    I get a lot of drawings from other people that have AEC objects in them. I can get rid of them with the -ExportToAutocad command in the less user-friendly CAD software, but I'd like to be able to do it in Bricscad.
  • YESS ! Still want it.

• Yes, it did happen...

Normally the ADT-enabler does its work without making any 'noise', so most of the time one will not be aware when it kicks in.
    It is installed along with all BricsCAD versions and is controlled by the DEMANDLOAD setting.

By default DEMANDLOAD is set to 3,
    so when a drawing contains AEC (ADT) objects, the ADT enabler will be loaded automatically, and e.g. instead of displaying a bounding rectangle or some simplified proxy geometry for these objects, they will be displayed as in the original application.

To see the difference, set DEMANDLOAD to 0 and load a drawing that is known to contain AEC objects.
    Then restart BricsCAD, set DEMANDLOAD to 3 and load the same drawing.
  • With DEMANDLOAD = 3, will I be able to edit the AEC objects?
  • Yes, basic editing is supported:
    when selecting an AEC object, one or more grips will be displayed which allow to modify the object.
This discussion has been closed.