Raster Engine

I have been trying V12 to get a feel for the new features.  The one feature I am really interested in is the new raster engine.  I have had mixed results.  We use very large, jpeg, tif, png and jpeg2000 images in our documents (9000 x12600 px or larger).  Using jpegs there is a marked improvement, refresh and zooming is really fast!  Tif files seem to yield a different result.  Using a black and white tif seems about the same, maybe a little slower, performance really slows up when transparency is turned on. There seems to be a bit of a delay when clicking the cursor on top of the image.  this was also noticeable when applying text on top of an image.  Has anyone had similar results?

Comments

• Hello John,

your experience correctly reflects the current status of development of the new raster engine.

Our target was that, by the time of the V12 release, the new engine should be capable to replace the existing one, supporting all formats and features with similar or better performance.

In the months following the release, we plan to crank up performance (quite a lot) by introducing compression and caching techniques. Our first efforts are going to bitonal tiff images for which transparency is used: by next week you can expect to have a considerably improved version available. We will be interested to hear your impression after trying it out.

• Thanks Hans,

I will look forward to future releases.  There is one other issue with rasters I would like to mention.  We often need to move, scale and rotate the images, this of course is done with the frame on.  When you select the image, it immediately jumps to the foreground (even if I have set it to be in the background).  We then will complete the operation and the image returns to the background.  This is especially aggravating for these three operations as we are often trying to move, scale or rotate to align with objects in the drawing (that are now behind the image).  It would be REALLY great if the image stayed in the background throughout the entire command.  Of course this is not on issue with images that support transparency.

This discussion has been closed.