Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activation on business and home computer not allowed?

I was wondering if someone here could clarify a licensing issue.. My employer bought me ONE LICENSE (years ago), and pays the yearly support contract. I'm the only one who uses the program here at work.. I have ONE work computer.. No one else can log into it. . Over the years I've usually had two versions installed at the same time. I can't USE both at the same time. I have to quit one to use the other. Having two versions on my PC allows me to try out new features. If either version has a bug which interferes with the completion of my work, I can switch to the other.

We were shut down for the first couple months of the pandemic. Believing the license allowed me to work from work OR HOME, I installed BricsCAD on my home PC. I live alone and no one else can log into my home PC. No one from Bricsys said a word. The other day I realized I should probably ditch Windows 7 on my home PC. I thought I'd install Linux. So I asked Malcom Davies, the licensing guy if there was any activation issue with having a Windows and a Linux version installed on two different machines. He told me then that the license only allowed TWO INSTALLATIONS in total, and NO CONCURRENT USE. I need both versions at work, so I reluctantly uninstalled V19 from my home PC. I read the license, and I don't think that was the intent. What about people who alternate work from home and their place of business and want to try out a new version or Beta before committing to it? They would be violating the license too.

Comments

• Hi Jim

I guess there was some confusion, hopefully my feedback will clarify things.

You can activate a single license on two machines (e.g. PC VS laptop or Work VS Home) on the condition that they are no used at the same moment (= concurrent usage). From your explanation this seems fine and your employer is also on the same page on you using BricsCAD at home.

BricsCAD licenses are backwards compatible so you can use your license to run the current version but also previous versions on the same machine. For us it's no issue if you have v17 and v20 running on one machine and even on the same moment. You can also have multiple sessions of BricsCAD v20 open at the same moment.

So to conclude there is no licensing issue with your setup. I guess there was a mixup with the words "activation" and "installation".
    We will reach out with your local reseller to avoid further confusion.

Best regards

Mathieu

• @Mathieu said:

So to conclude there is no licensing issue with your setup. I guess there was a mixup with the words "activation" and "installation".
    We will reach out with your local reseller to avoid further confusion.

Thank you Mathieu. Are you support staff at Bricsys? Licensing issues? I'll need something in writing to satisfy our IT department.

• Hi Jim

I'm a Bricsys employee. I will also reply on your support ticket.

Best regards

Mathieu

• Great! Thanks.