L Shape Viewports (BricsCAD Newbie)

I'm sure it's simple, but how does one create an L or T shape viewport in the layout?

Or how does one "add" extra handles on the viewport from to reshape it?

Ta,

K

Comments

•  Dear Kevin
    It is very simple indeed: just draw the viewport shape you want using the polyline command, then use the OBJECT option of the VIEWPORTS (or VPORTS) command to select the polyline as a viewport.

•  Brilliant! So simple when you know how!! :)

Thank you very much!
  • Hi,
    I'd like to ask additional question: is there a way to add extra vertecies to already created viewport? Say I have square viewport (with four vertecies) and want to change it's size to L shaped - I need two more vertecies. Is there a way other than deleting the original viewport and creating a new one?
    Tom
  • I'd like to ask additional question: is there a way to add extra vertecies to already created viewport? Say I have square viewport (with four vertecies) and want to change it's size to L shaped - I need two more vertecies. Is there a way other than deleting the original viewport and creating a new one?
    This can be done using the VPCLIP (Clip Viewport) command:
    1. Launch the VPCLIP command.
    You are prompted: Select viewport to clip:
    2. Select the viewport.
    You are prompted: Polygonal/<Select clipping entity>: 
    3. Select 'Polygonal' in the prompt menu or type P, then press Enter.
    You are prompted: Specify start point:
    4. Specify the first point of the polygonal clipping boundary.
    5. Specify more points until the desired shape is drawn.
    Optionally arc segments can be drawn (follow the instructions in the command bar).

The clipping can be undone using the Delete option of the VPCLIP command.

• Hello Luis,
    thank you very much. I never thought of this.

Tom
  • Further to Louis post on VPCLIP.

Once you have created a clipped viewport you can edit it using the PEDIT command. You may need to use DRAWORDER to push the viewport object behind the clipping polyline. With PEDIT you can add & remove vetices, fit curve etc. For example you could create a hexagonal viewport, then using PEDIT and fit curve convert it to circular.

To retrieve the polyline clipping frame you can use the BOUNDRY command. EXPLODE can be used too, but this also destroys the viewport.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 

• Thank you, Jason.
This discussion has been closed.