Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Manipulator is spastic

See the video.

I'm trying to raise a box up somewhere towards the top and when it looks like the Manipulator has it positioned just where I want it, I click the mouse and it goes back down to where I started. I've tried this for the last half hour with varying outcomes almost never what I want.

On the same operation with this box, I've gotten:
A) several BricsCAD lock ups with continuously high cpu utilization till I kill the process
B) the box goes to around half the height for no apparent reason when I click near the top where I want it
C) the box suddenly stops moving even though my mouse is still moving up and a black triangle and small black oval appears on screen and the drawing area becomes unresponsive (mouse disappears) while I can still mouse around the non drawing area or move over to my other monitor. Thereafter the triangle and oval disappear and the box starts moving again
D) The box jumps wildly up and down to where it looks like screen static while I'm slowly pulling the mouse straight up

Anyone with any hints for why this is or what I'm doing to influence this nonsense?

Comments

• edited September 25

Unexpected, and thus undesired snapping is what causes this behavior.
    To see beforehand where your cursor would actually snap to in case you clicked, set DRAGSNAP = 1.
    Most users don't like this mode because it causes some jumping of the dynamic display, still, it is showing what you will actually get, and as such it is useful.

When the cursor is moved on top of the ruler marker lines, it will snap to these lines, and not snap to other geometry.
    Our goal is to offer the best of both worlds with the manipulator: allow both using the ruler and allow snapping to other geometry.
    There's room for improvement though, as illustrated by your experience.
    For V20, the area of the ruler that suppresses snapping to other geometry has been considerably extended, to avoid such surprising snaps,
    so as long as you'll keep the cursor in the neighborhood of the ruler, the ruler will 'rule'.

Sorry for the grief caused... and thanks for helping us to make BricsCAD more fun to use.

Hans

• When I watched RoatanBill's video, my first thought was also :
    Why at all isn't DRAGSNAP ON by Default.

Most users don't like this mode because it causes some jumping of the dynamic display, still, it is showing what you will actually get, and as such it is useful.

Most users ?
    I don't get that.
    The dynamic preview will jump - because it shows where you currently
    snap and what will happen if you accept.
    What is the meaning behind looking at a smooth display, when it is obvious
    and likely that the preview will finally jump to an arbitrary position that you
    can't see/read.

In most Apps there are offers to temporarily pause snapping, in case you
    don't want to snap. (like drawing in a free hand way)

When the cursor is moved on top of the ruler marker lines, it will snap to these lines, and not snap to other geometry.

I was unaware of that. Great.
    I am a big fan of dynamic Grid. So far I just rotated my View in a way to avoid
    unwanted geometry for accidental snaps, to profit from dynamic Grid only.
    Have to play with that.

• @'Hans De Backer'

I'm a new BricsCAD user with very limited CAD experience altogether, so I stumble through the product.

I am, however, a retired Professional Software Developer and think you would appreciate some constructive criticism. My background is operating system internals, commercial software development (mainframe, mini, micro) and white hat hacking.

Please refer to the attached image.

The Manipulator 'Ruler' is an annoyance in its current presentation. The markings and numbers are near impossible to see in many cases. The DYN figure that pops up is clearly visible under all circumstances because it defines it's own background. The Ruler needs its own background so it stands out from the drawing. I have never used the Ruler because of the poor presentation and even with better presentation I prefer the simple and clean DYN figure.

Documentation for the Manipulator is seriously insufficient. I've watched the videos, read what I've found available and from those scattered sources got the general impression that I was seeing the Manipulator from an altitude of 10,000 meters; missing all the detail such as what you just provided. I had no knowledge of the DRAGSNAP variable or how the manipulator is sensitive to where the Ruler rules or where snap rules. I've stumbled through using the Manipulator and trial and error have formed my opinions on how it operates. That's opinion, not knowledge.

For example, I've deduced that any number I key in is always used as an absolute value and that the direction the Manipulator has moved determines the sign. Again, I have no real knowledge about this but that's my impression as I've keyed in negative numbers and had it go in the opposite direction.

What's needed is some serious documentation with real world examples of how to use it with specific examples highlighting what I consider idiosyncrasies due to ignorance and you consider features due to knowledge.

Screenshot from 2019-09-25 14-48-25.png
    697 x 893 - 32K
  • edited September 25

The markings and numbers are near impossible to see in many cases.

Obviously there are such cases, and they are not straightforward to avoid.

Zooming in closely on the screenshot you attached, you will notice that the marker lines not only consist of a line of dark grey pixels: there is a second line of white pixels. You guessed it, it is there precisely to make them easy to discern in as many contexts as possible...

For font glyphs, typically bezier splines, it gets a degree more expensive and complex to add these contrasting pixels: did the guys from the operating system internals provide some way to bring that within reach? We'ld be grateful to learn ;-)

• The markings and numbers are near impossible to see in many cases.

Maybe a 70-80 % transparent background layer to dimm geometry behind
    would be helpful.
    Didn't ever used it either as I didn't know what it can do.
    (Thought it is just a visual hint that you have activated/are using dynamic Grid)

BTW,
    currently learning similar unexpected features for Quick Draw now.
    Got aware of Manipulator looong click to realign Manipulator Center trick
    only because I am reading Release Notes ....

BTW2,
    Heard from DRAGSNAP Setting for the first time only because I thought
    the BC behavior (default DS=OFF) is deeply wrong and misleading,
    so that I filed a Service Request at that time.

My conclusion,
    I often would do Tool's Workflow or Design different or opposite
    and the UI doesn't often show their usage or possibilities very well.
    But they are mostly astonishing genius and worth a second deeper
    look.

Very helpful are the videos series, This Girl/Guy created XXX Tool,
    on Bricscad Blog, where you can learn how she/he thinks and how
    it was meant to use and what it can do.

I also really like the "Tips Panel" for current Tool since V19
    (I vote for "click to enlarge" Video/GiF + link to Help Section)

What's needed is some serious documentation with real world examples

(I secretly hope for some demo Project Files with V20,
    like a complete (smaller) BIM Project File that uses all recent
    Bricscad bells and whistles,
    like BIM Sections, Project Structure, Calculations, custom Blocks/Components, ...
    similar to what the "Villa Tutorial" was at that time)