Workpiece size measurement

olive
edited April 29 in 3D Modeling

Hello Bricsys team and users, this is my first time posting on the forum. I am a student majoring in mechanical design. Currently, I need to measure the size of special-shaped workpieces in a certain aspect of the project, because physical measurement is difficult to achieve and the measurement results are not accurate enough.

The ideal solution is to use 3D measurement. Currently, I have used MIRACO 3D scanner to scan the workpiece surface and generated the corresponding three-dimensional mesh model (as shown below). But because the scanner does not have the functions of dimensional measurement and data analysis. Therefore, CAD software is needed to measure dimensional parameters.

This model comes from miraco,expot format STL/OBJ/PLY

So, can I do it with the help of BricsCAD, because I understand that BricsCAD has measurement tools, and if so, does importing the model require converting the format to solid data format, and is there a free version (if so, how to get it)

If you have any good suggestions, I would be grateful~

Comments

• Hello.

The only free version of Bricscad is Bricscad Shape.
    And, this version only works with dwg, dxf, skp, and 3dm formats.
    So, it seems it is not useful for this case.

If the only task is to make measurements on the scanned model, you might use a software tool simpler than a CAD product.

A solution could be to use Blender, see blender.org
    This is a 3D modeling software (not CAD), but has a measuring tool that allows to make measurements between various points on the model.
    Also, it can import stl and obj files.

• thank you,I will try