Adding Hatch Patterns

Trying a add a hatch pattern to Bricscad 9. No problem adding the pattern to thedefault.pat file but it's not showing up on the hatch list. In Bricscad 7 you madea slide file for the pattern but I can't find where those go in Brics 9.

Comments

• Are you adding your custom hatches to the end of the file? I once had some fail until I moved them to the end, though at other times I got them to work no matter where in the file I put them.

• Make sure you add to the correct file: if you are working in imperial measurement add to 'default.pat'; if you are working in metric measurement add to 'iso.pat'. (See settings dialog measurement)You do not need slides in V9 (hatch swatches are generated on the fly.)

• I've made sure that the pattern was at the end of the list in the default.pat file as recommended.The pat file is also in the right directory as the support staff had me check on that.The strange thing is that I sent the pat file to support and they were able to pull it up with noproblem. There must be a general setting somewhere that affects this. Hopefully someone outthere might have some other ideas.

• There are several variables that affect hatches. You can open Settings, and type HATCH, then F3 to cycle through them.You might try posting the patterns that you're having trouble with, using "Insert code tags." Then other people can try them and see if they load.

• After add hatch pattern to pat file, you must restart Bricscad.

• I got this from the Brics Support:The support file search path is set in menu 'Settings > Settings > Program options > Files > Support File Search Path'. When Bricscad starts up for the first time after installation, cui, pgp, fmp, lin, pat, unt files are copied from :%InstallDir%\UserDataCache\Support\en_USto : %RoamableRootFolder%\support\In more detail please see Knowledge Base article at http://www.bricscad.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=269. So you always have got the source default.pat in %InstallDir%\UserDataCache\Support\en_US folder and your working .pat file in %RoamableRootFolder%\support. Hence for your case you should put your .pat file to %RoamableRootFolder%\support\ and set this path in menu Settings.Ok, I'm dense - so what am I supposed to do regarding the above? Does it mean add the "roamable"statement to a certain location in the registry or am I to have this file directory on my hard drivesomewhere, which I don't. Maybe reinstalling Bricscad is the safest thing to do. All input would begreatly appreciated.

• You could have Windows search your C: drive for all files named "default.pat." And you could check and see whether you've got the right default.pat in the right folder by temporarily deleting one of the standard hatches. Then re-start BricsCad and see if that one is missing.Once you find your support folder, I suggest immediately right-clicking on it and creating a shortcut to it, and then putting that shortcut in your MyDocuments folder. You're going to want it again, eventually, and it's going to be just as hard to find a second time.One other possibility: Are you looking for your custom hatches in the right part of the pull-down list? I think v7 listed them in the order of the PAT file, but I think v9 ignores that and lists all hatches in alphabetical order.

• Thank you! Found the other "pat" file and put the missing hatch in it. All is well again.Wish there was just one place to deal with all the support files, it would make thingsso much easier.

• Tim,You might want to create a directory for your modified files and add that to the support path before the paths to you profile. Bricscad will load the first one it finds.i.e.: create C:\CAD\SUPPORT and put modified default.pat and iso.patThis way your modifications cannot be overwritten when an update is installed and your edits will not change the original file so you can always return to using it if you need to.

This discussion has been closed.