Version 9 LAYER command doesnt work

Howdy,

This is my first time on this forum.  I have used Bricscad since Intellicad 2000 then version 6.  I downloaded V9 to give it a try.  I have always been happy with Bricscad as a substitute for AutoCad and in fact I use the AutoCad Bible for all topics.  Anyway, the first thing I have noticed with V9 that is a real pain in the a__ is that the LAYER command does not work.  In version 6 that command would list every layer and every property of each layer all on one table.  You could set your line types, Color, line weight, etc all on the one page.  You could also create a new layer and set current layer from there.  Now all I get is a blank page.  The layer properties tool bars that is listed across the top of my drawing causes too many problems.  For example: I use entity to set a layer but whatever Color, Linetype etc that was listed for the last layer used, ends up applying to my new lines.  I end up having to change every setting individually everytime I change layers.  A real pain.  Unless I am doing something wrong that someone can point out, I am going back to V6.   Thanks for any help.

Randy

Comments

• The layer command opens the Drawing Explorer dialog and shows an overview of all layers in the drawing. Is there a "Drawing Explorer" caption in the title bar of the 'blank page' you mention? In the menu bar below this title bar, select 'Settings -> Restore Default Explorer Layout'.

If this does not help you out, then please file a support request and attach a screenshot so we can see what you mean by the 'blank page'.

Kind regards.

• Randy, those aren't layer properties tool bars. The 4 pull-down boxes across the top of the drawing show entity properties -- the properties of whichever entity is selected, or, if none is selected, the properties to be assigned to newly created entities.

If you want color and linetype to be controlled by layer, you should set the color & linetype pull-down boxes to "ByLayer," and leave them that way. Then just use the first pull-down box to assign a layer to entities.

You can easily select the color, linetype, and other properties associated with each layer in the Layers folder of the Drawing Explorer, as Hans described. With a little patience I'm sure you'll find v9 is much better and easier to use than v6.

• Gentlemen,

Thankyou for your reply.  Although I couldnt type LAYER anymore to get the Explorer Dialog Box I did find in Settings where I could select Explore Layers and got the screen I was looking for.  When I tried again in V6, it didnt work either so I dont know what I was thinking - seems like the typed command did used to work.  I also figured out that I needed to set each property in those bars at the top to "bylayer" and things all worked well.  Thanks very much for the prompt responses.

Randy

This discussion has been closed.