Toolbars

I have created some extra toolbars in V9 and arranged them in my screen in a way i like them. What happens is that sometimes when i open a new session of Bricscad all the toolbars are positioned under each other and not like i ordered them.

Does anyone know this problem?

Comments

• The only thing I've seen like that is when I load a menu:  the toolbars use the appearance settings they have in the file, not the appearance I gave them on-the-fly (by right-clicking on a menu bar and selecting which bars are on, and by dragging them around the screen).

You can change the toolbar appearance settings in the menu file by editing it with the Customize window. Select the name of the toolbar and adjust the appearance settings at the bottom of the window.

• Thanks Anthony,

I have checked this in the customise window.

Position was set to Floating, Visible was set to Hide. Changed the position to Top and Visible to Show.

I will see if the problem returns or not....

btw in the customise window you also have the setting "row" , "Xval" and "Yval". For what are those?

• Richard: (copied from the help here http://www.bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_US/V9/UsrGui/source/02_Defining_your_preferences/02_03_Creating_custom_tools.htm)

• Rows: Specifies the number of rows.
    • Xval: When the position is Floating, specifies the X coordinate in pixels, measured from the left edge of the screen to the left side of the toolbar.
    • Yval: When the position is Floating, specifies the Y coordinate in pixels, measured from the top edge of the screen to the top of the toolbar.

but a quick test here did not seem to do anything (perhaps I would have needed to restart Bricscad?).

Anyway, I have had a problem with toolbars similar to what you describe several months ago. I did not discover a quick explanation so I created a new profile and set it up. That worked but there may well be a setting I overlooked.

• Thank you Greg,

As you did, i tried random values for the X and Y value and also after restarting bricscad i did not notice any difference. That is why i asked what they are for because they seem to do nothing.....

Anyway, for now the toolbars seem to stay in place. If it happens again, i think i will make a new profile.

• The values for Xval and Yval (same for Position and Visible), are only used when the cui file is reloaded, or when the cui file is loaded for the first time. After this, the toolbars should keep their position and visisbility like the user placed them, even if the position is changed in the Customize dialog. (note that these most recent positions are stored in the registry, and written to registry when Bricscad closes down. So, to get rid of the most recent positions and visibilities of the toolbars, you have to unload the cui file, restart Bricscad and then load the cui file again.)

This design choice was made to prevent that each little change in the Customize dialog would make all toolbars jump to their original position and visibility.

If you can find a scenario to reproduce the toolbars appearing all under each other when starting a new Bricscad session, that would be very valuable for us. (We tried on different machines and configurations, different 3rd party applications but haven't been able to reproduce it yet.)

• Thanks Pieter,

That explains a lot.

I have tried to reproduce the problem but since i have changed the settings as Anthony suggested, i have no problems anymore.... (glad it seems to be solved)

What i can say about the problem is that every setting in the customise dialog was set as default and it happend with the custom toolbars i made myselve. (OS : Win XP pro sp2)

• What I have found is that as long as I don't "downsize the BricsCAD window, my toolbars remain where I have them placed. However, when I reduce the window to half of my screen size, toolbars start moving, or "stacking" if you will. When I maximize the window again after downsizing, the toolbars do not return to their previous locations. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.