Dimensioning an Ellipse or ellipse arc.

Is there a way to dimension an ellipse?  I have looked in help and in the forums but not seen anything.  Someone must also have need to dimension/set out ellipses! 

Is it possible to snap to the control points of an ellipse?  The only other way I can think of providing points for someone to set out an ellipse! 

If not I guess I have to cheat and trace arcs over the ellipse, which would not be as accurate as I wish.

Comments

• Hi Simon, does the list command give you sufficient info? 

• There are 2 ways to create ellipses - True or Polyline representations.

Either can be snapped to their Quadrants and Pline ellipses also to their various Endpoints (if you should want to).

If you are wanting some diagonal dimension, you can still snap to Intersections but I don't believe that will ever be very accurate - from memory there is more than one way to even calculate the shape of an ellipse.

For isometric ellipses I use 2 blocks I made (LH and RH) which are 1 unit vertically in their respective default 30deg rotated positions, so actually bigger than 1 unit on the major axis. At least I know their vertical or horizontal dimensions are accurate in an isometric view.

If that's any help.

• Dear Simon,

An ellipse built up of arcs is much easier to dimension and set out.

Check out the paragraph on the three-center arch on this site:

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/ellipse.htm

Regards, Roy.

This discussion has been closed.