When will the lisp developer reference be updated?

I want to post just ONE example, I hope that should be enough:

Change-Log Version 9.2.7 from 8/1/2009:
"Improved:
LISP: (arxload) now shows more detailed error message if the function fails."

BricsCAD V9 Developer Reference:
"LISP Compatibility:
Bricscad does not support the following functions found in other CAD systems: arx, arxload, arxunload, autoarxload, entgetx, initdia, ssnamex, and tablet."

HOW in the world should we use these functions, if they are not documented clearly enough in the Developer Reference?!?!
I found also other lisp-functions in the Change-Log, that even need more explanation to it.

So, WHEN will the Dev. Ref. online and in the help file be updated?

And WHY do you make it so easy for AutoCAD to be better than you, if it would be so simple for you to make it a thougher challenge for them? The product's documentation really was one of the pillars that made them big. And it sill is one of the most important impressions left behind with the user!

Comments

• Dear Mr. Bartl,

indeed, that documentation is outdated ...

All those "arx, arxload, arxunload, autoarxload, initdia, ssnamex, and tablet" functions are indeed supported. 

We are already working on an updated documentation.

• Please!

And there are also other (new) ones that I found in the Change-Log.

Do you know an approximate date, when we are allowed to expect the docu?

Thanks.

• Indeed, totally and utterly unacceptable, an application that offers more than its documentation claims!

• Stephan,

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive in an open forum like this? OK, you have a complaint, and maybe in your walk of life such an aggressive approach gets you results - but don't you think you are being a bit unreasonable? Maybe your experience is different, but I have never found Bricsys to be anything other than excellent in their responses to user issues and I doubt you will find them any different in this case. I've not checked my facts here, but I feel pretty sure that Bricsys will be tiny compared to Autodesk, hence the much lower product price. However, this will inevitably mean they hit resource constraints earlier than Autodesk and so some things get ovelooked or delayed. I would advise you pays your money and takes your choice.....AutoCAD may be polished but boy it's expensive!

Jamie

• Here is a short documentation on the newly added functions - btw., they do what their names say :-)

(vl-enable-user-cancel [flag])
    to enable/disable ESCAPE during Lisp processing : flag = t means, user's ESCAPE is ignored, nil means, ESCAPE is accepted;
    internally, ESCAPE is preset as enabled by default.
    Can be used for particular code, where users should not be able to cancel Lisp processing - i.e. long-time running Lisp.

(vl-list-loaded-lisp)
    lists all the Lisp files loaded into the current drawing, including path; can be used to determine whether a particular Lisp file has been loaded already.

(vlr-document reactor)
    this is an AutoLISP function, orifinally undocumented in AutoLISP - it returns the drawing which is used by the particular reactor object; meaning, the "associated drawing".

• Thank you for your effort, Torsten!

Do you also have a time frame for the update in the Dev. Ref. (online)?

Because if it takes still a few months longer, I might mention the undocumented supported functions in my blog http://thecadprogcp.blogspot.com/.

Thanks again. And sorry, if I should have come across a bit aggressive at first.

• your site looks interesting, you might checkout www.theswamp.org , it's a great resource for programming cad.

• Hi Daniel!

Yes thank you, I was already planning to add theswamp to the forums sections, as soon as I get there ;)

• Hi, Stefan, it is really hard to say when the documentation will be completely updated ... we are redesigning the Lisp documentation ingenerally;
    but I guess it will take some months.

Not only to document all functions, but also to add documentation on VLA system logic, and related things, like reactors.
    For AutoLISP programmers, the updated function list is enough - for entry level programmers, a whole documentation is nessecary.

However, you can reach me by email (torsten.moses@bricsys.com) for any question ... so at least, you website can be updated.
    Many greetings, Torsten

• Thank you!

I might do that.

Kind regards, Stephan

This discussion has been closed.