White text

Hi,

This must be simple but I am missing something. I want to put some text on a coloured solid hatch that will print pure white (not a feint grey) but I can't get it right. It either prints black or a feint grey. Can anyone help me out please.

Thanks

Jamie

Comments

• Have you tried the "True Color" tab of the Select Color dialog?

For white, set Saturation to 0 and Luminosity to maximum.

• Thanks Anthony, that worked....but why does setting index colour 255 (which has the same RGB value as the settings you gave me equates to) produce a grey rather than white?

Jamie

• ...and why does index colour 7 (described as white) display and print as black?

I bet this is obvious when you know the answer and I'll feel stupid when you explain it.

• Lemee quess, you set the background as black, don't you. (Like all us old hands)

Try setting the background  to white, color no. 7 will go to black.

It's a special default display color.

• Yaacov,

I have the background as white, but I see what you mean. If I change it to black then index colour 7 shows as white. But I still don't see why it doesn't print as pure white. Also, it is seems a bit awkward that if you put white text (index 7) on a coloured solid hatch that it still shows as black if the model space background is white.

Is it just me or is this all a bit wierd?

• Where is the 24 bit color value stored? Group code #62 only contains the next similar 8 bit color value.

• Jamie:  The display color of all entities with index color #7 is set by the variable BKGCOLOR, not on an entity-by-entity basis. That thing about index color 255 seems odd. I assume that the Select Color dialog isn't being completely honest with us about that color's RGB values.

Martin:  Code 420 is the product of the three RGB codes. If non-nil it overrides 62.

• The formula RGB to #420 is: R * 65536 + G * 256 + B. Right?

• That's right.

For information on color conversion: http://www.jtbworld.com/lisp/DisplayColorProperties.htm (look for: "OLEtoRGB_color2")

This discussion has been closed.