an Emacs mode or other good free lisp editor?

Hi.

The Visual Lisp editor mentioned years back doesn't seem to be on the AfraLisp site anymore.

For me what might be better is a good Emacs mode, and apparently "autolisp.el" existed,

but I can't find it.

Absent a current IDE, wouldn't other people also want an Emacs mode? Especially if it's tailored

as needed for Bricscad, to facliitate things like loading from the editor, stepping through stuff,

etc.?

Thanks,

John (MacPhail)

Comments

• I use lisplink from http://www.caelink.com , as its specifically tailored for vlisp it's not free but it's certainly affordable.    

For free you might try notepad++ , it has syntax highlighting and syntax folding for common lisp

Daniel

• There are a lot of powerful editors around. I've been using jEdit for a little while and it is working out pretty well. Plugins are available ctags, snippets (with prompts for input), folds, syntax highlighting, auto-indent, block indent, etc.

@ Daniel: Is Lisplink tightly bound to Autocad or useful without Autocad? It would be _really_ nice to be able to be able to have watches and breakpoints...

• Plus you can use jEdit for lilypond if you are so inclined! :-)

• According to the bottom left corner of caelink's webpage, their looking to add support for Bricscad. Even so it's a very feature full editor, I recommend getting the trial. I've been using it since 02 and have done a zillion lines of code with it....

• I took a brief look at Lisplink a while ago... I have not actually installed the trial though. I recall the reason I lost interest is the subscription based licensing. I feel very uneasy with this model and am not willing to purchase this way. I have contacted them for more info to see if other options are possible (the website indicates there are none though). I will update this if there are  other options.

• Thanks, Daniel and Greg, for the quick feedback! It seems JEdit

modes (AutoLISP, DCL, etc.) are really what I want, but I don't

think I have time to create them. Perhaps I'll use LispLink.

Another plan would be developing in the AutoCAD IDE, then

porting to Bricscad. Is it a fair guess that most people are going

that way?

This discussion has been closed.