Bricscad for Linux alpha 10.3.1

Dear CAD on Linux enthusiasts,

a next alpha version is available from this location:

http://www.bricsys.com/open/common/download.jsp?p=B4L&l=en_US&site=1

- It is now possible to open a dwg, but saving is not yet possible.

- Menu's and toolbars have been added (flyout toolbars do not work yet).

- Zooming in and out by scroll button now works. Before, both directions of the scroll button zoomed in.

- System variables are now persistent. This can be noticed by the remembered positions of toolbars.

Kind Regards

Tijs

Comments

• thank you, thank you, thank you :)
    let test  it :)

• Great man!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!

• Great, nice to see that Bricscad on linux!
    Bravi!
    I watched a little bit in the menu and I tried to look at the VBA, I released this:

VBA unavailable on Linux

Means that the VBA will be managed for Linux?
    No one can do differently, like with Gambas or Python?

Thanks to our CAD

• Wow! Great work! While still such an early Alpha it has a nice look and feel.

• Isn't VBA against the law on Linux? ha! just kidding.

Seriously though, I for one, would like to know the roadmap for Bricsys/Linux DEV using C/C++. I know it's still early in the ball game, just the game plan would be nice:)

Great Job guys!

• I'm little curiuos,

how many downloads bricscad for linux counts?

• deeply impressed by the amazing speed of current development I wonder why it took so long to bring out a first version :) but I'm no developer .

And at least I'm really glad that there is some 3D CAD (at least it looks like you're also going 3D) on the way for Linux - and it looks real promising..

I can't wait for the next alpha .. go on in that direction - and a big thanks to the whole development team .. well done!!

• Good evening to all.
    With the latest release on our beloved Bricscad Linux starts to take shape more. Now we have made the first clothes and we love so much.

Some commands, like the canc key / erase command does not works (it should always type) or Ctrl + Z to undo, dimensions etc. etc.. But it is an alpha release, so that's okay. Work in the future.
    I tried to open some files created with Acad and opens them without problems. I noticed that working with a 4.5 MB file, become very slow, and slowed the whole system. Even Bricscad for Windows has this problem.
    Still remains the problem of segmentation fault-core dumped. This is probably due to the lack of something in the OS that is used instead was present at the time of compilation. It is important that this be resolved.

I hope it is only the question alpha release. We need a dwg software stable, powerful and fast. These are the three essential characteristics.
    The rest will get used to.

Happy Weekend everyone.

• most impostant for my taste
    now scroll working ok.

dwg files also opens

still not clear work with keyboard focus #1 impotance (for my taste)

ttf fonts not work. #2

how can I switch among the pages?

from model view to paper I can switch with tilemode on/off

but what about other pages?

PS(2Cielito Lindo):erasing work with delete command

• Now I'm using a Fedora in Virtual Box with Bricscad.
    Delete key (<==) serves as the Canc key: typing on the command line. But does the right button and then selecting erase delete the selected objects. I will try better.

• Dear bricscad team,

I tested new alpha 10.3.1 and I must say it looks really really promising. I see the new version grow quickly from the very first one. Speed is much higher than in wine version, and CPU load is much more affordable, main commands are efficient.

Keep focused and release quickly the first commercial version, we do need it 

thank you and regards,

Nicola

• Wow, great how you work.

To enter Model Space --> Tilemode = On

Cross window to select works but not dysplayed

When draw a line, the line is not show after the second click

Some problem with keyboard focus (for example when type "zoom", have to click in the command bar to type "all" because focus is loose)

500Kb dwg very fast, 6Mb dwg works fine, accord to my PC

When exit and ask for save, Cancel close Bricscad or freeze.

When click over an objet (line), the cursor is always shown, have to press ESC to desapear.

Gradient works, but if zoom before give the OK, some dysplay refresh problems.

When open Bricscad, after the expiration message, can't see all the main window, only 1/4 of the window. If move the mouse a refresh is done and can see all perfect.

Export works, but dwg and pdf exported can't be read.

• Im getting excited, just checked out 10.3.1 and I must say once she is up and running smoothly you have a purchaser right here.  I am new to the linux workld , but not AutoCAD.  There stron hold on the market is dwindleing and I hope microsofts is soon to follow.  I live Linux and with a littel bit of effort I am making the transition.  I hope to be completely linus based if and when I start my own Landscape Architecture firm, hopefully sonner than later.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to furher understanding Bricscad!

• Great work!

Whenh printing will be available we'll use Bricscad as viewer, and when saving will be available we are going to test it in real work and to buy it.:)))

• Goodmorning. I've a question for you. I'm using Bricscad on my PC, but the work files are in a windows server in the LAN. My PC is in the LAN and all programs can see and enter in the server. Bricscad has some problems. It do not show me the server partition mounted in the "open" tab. Does anyone know how can i fix? Thanks.

• Awesome!  I'm so happy to see this port for bricscad natively in linux.  I had time for just a quick test.  I'm running Ubuntu 9.10

Good:
    The appearance and responsiveness seem very good

Bad:
    XREFs do not resolve even though the XREFs are in the same directory (network directory is mounted to my /mnt/server-files/ via sshfs, which shouldn't matter)
    regardless of your network server access method smb, nfs, sshfs, or whatever..

• I just tried it on Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. So far, so good.

I opened a few files, some 2D some 3D. 3D solids don't show properly, and no render mode works, but I guess this is to be expected. Still, speed in zooming is incredible.

Same remark as Andrey Didencool: I notice each opened file has its tab on top of the drawing window. I know clicking on the TILE button (bottom right) gives access to the Layout window, but what happens if the drawing has more than one layout? I have many such files, and am unable to access the other layouts.

I'd rather have the same UI as the Windows version, with only the model and layout tabs for the active drawing showing.

I'm eager to see what the working shademode options will look like, but I guess this is far along the road.

It's all very exciting. Keep up the good work!

P.S. A comment about the forum... Do the fonts need to be so small?!?!?

This discussion has been closed.