Model /Paperspace Intersection Snaps

Hi,

When working in a paperspace view, would people expect intersection snaps to be detected where modelspace and paperspace entities intersect? I think it would be helpful if they were and can not see a drawback of the doing so. Anyone know if AutoCAD detects intersection snaps under such conditions?

Jamie

Comments

• Any comments on this anyone? I don't want to steam in with a support request in case I am missing something obvious.

Thanks

• In Autocad 2010 lines drawn in paper space can osnap to entities in model space.  I drew a line in paper space and was able to osnap to intersections of that line and lines in model space.  I verified that in Bricscad 10.2.10 esnaps to an intersection between a paper space line and a model space line do not work.

My preference is that Bricsdcad be as close in operation to Autocad as possible.  My staff was trained on Autocad, but we are moving the office to Bricscad.  Every time we run into something that doesn't work the same way it costs us time trying to figure out what's wrong, and it makes the staff a little less happy with Bricscad.

• Thanks. I'll file a support request.

Regards

Jamie Fraser

• Dear H Martin Shoemaker

I have received a reply to a support request regarding this from Briscsys and would like to discuss it with you if you don't mind as it refers to the behaviour of Acad which I don't have. I think it would be appropriate to take the conversation off the forum at this point so if you agree, please email me at temporary@kingstoncontracts.co.uk and I will send you the details directly.

Regards

Jamie Fraser

• Jamie,

I have emailed my contact information.

Martin

• I had the opportunity to be in an office with ACAD2007 today and the intersection osnap did not find the intersection between a line in paper space and a line in model space. Maybe this is something added since then?

Personally I would find it useful to be able to use an intersection snap involving entities in paper space and model space.

• I've done more testing in Autocad 2010 and the results are inconsistent. I use an architectural background in model space and a diagonal line I drew in paper space that crossed several walls in the floor plan.  I tested by using the LINE command in paper space.  My conclusions at this point are:
    1.  An intersection between a line in paper space and a line in model space (lets call that an IPM) is not found by the intersection osnap for the first point for a new line.
    2.  An IPM will be found by the intersection osnap for the second point for the line command if the IPM lies on a horizontal ray or a vertical ray from the new line's first point.
    3.  An IPM will be found by the intersection osnap for the second point for the line command if the cursor has passed over another intersection before the cursor is moved to the IPM.  The IPM does not have to lie on the horizontal ray or the vertical ray from the line's first point in this case.

I believe my earlier test was the second case above. 

I agree that it would be useful if one could snap to an intersection between entities in paper space and model space, but the operation needs to be consistent.

• Indeed,

being able to use an intersection snap involving entities in paper space and model space is important for layouting with several views (or Xrefs) to be properly connected

• I find that in both ACAD and BricsCAD line intersections do not work, but you can pick a point in model space ( a definite 'point' - an end, mid point, node or W.H.Y.) and make it match a line in paper space - either nearest to or perpend to. If you need to move to or from a point which is an intersection between a line in paper space and a line in model space, I suggest that you draw an additional line in paper space over the line in model space (by picking the ends) and then using the point in paper space as the intersection.

• Sorry for not contributing to this thread again sooner. I agree that the intersection snaps between model and paperspace entities seem to be inconsistent. I need such snaps when matching infinite lines in model space (used as swim lanes in instrumentation drawings) to border headings in paperspace. There is usually a way around it using temporary lines, but it is awkward. It would be interesting if Bricsys would comment on this thread (hopefully it won't just be "AutoCAD does this...").

Jamie

This discussion has been closed.