Bricscad for Linux alpha 10.3.4

Hello everyone,

A new Bricscad for Linux alpha is now available:
http://www.bricsys.com/open/common/download.jsp?p=B4L&l=en_US&site=1

- The lisp engine now works.
- Added Copy/Paste support for the commands "COPYCLIP", "PASTECLIP", "PASTEORIG".
- Display of truetype fonts has been added
- Layout tabs are displayed now. Clicking on the layout tabs does not work yet. Use the command "LAYOUT", option "Set" to switch layouts.
- Temporary graphics have become more stable thanks to internal synchronization fixes and fixes of memory leaks.
- Starting the command "DDEDIT" by doublecliking now works.

Mind that we do not accept support requests yet.  At this point any support request is too likely to point out an issue that we already noticed ourselves.
There are still plenty of obvious issues that we need to tackle.

We do really appreciate all of your enthusiasm.
Your remarks will become useful in a later stage.

Kind Regards

Tijs

Comments

• By default Model tab is highlight also have another layout active. After some zoom highlight the correct tab.

If double click on blocks with attributes, Bricscad exit without promp.

When the cursos pass over some entities like lines, viewports, a ghost cursor appears untill pass over other entity

Can't delete from keyboard (Delete key), F1 - F12 and Enter from keypad don't work.

Open file dialogbox don't show *.DWG, only *.dwg

Copy and Paste works, but not from keyboard (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V)

When write Text (single line), arrow keys don't work, erase work. When edit Text (single line) arrow keys works.

When write MultiLineText, arrow keys, erase key and enter key don't work.

• Is what is below normal?  I have gotten this and have no pulldown menus.  I can open and mess around with things though by using the cammand prompt.

17:56:47: Main User interface customization file not found: default.cui You can browse to a cui file in the menu command.
    17:56:47: Unable to open program parameters file: default.pgp The file should be in one of the SRCHPATH variable's folders.  No shell commands or command aliases will be available.

Chad

• @ Tijs Vermeulen

I still don't see the Layout tabs. As previous version, I have one tab on top for each opened file.

And when I open Bricscad, the warning popup window still tells me that "the current version will expire on February 28, 2010!", which is unchanged from the V10.3.1.1-1. Is that normal? Or is it some residual setting from the old version saved somewhere on my system?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

@ Chad Wade

Check that default.cui and default.pgp are in /BricscadForLinux-10.3.4-1-en_US/userdatacache/support/en_US. Mine are there, and I have pulldown menus. Have you verified the checksum of your downloaded archive?

• @Normand Chamberland

layouts appear when you click at "tile" buttom  (toggle view mode) two times

@devs

can I assign some command at keys?

still no work with delete and f?? keys

and in one place(definy text style dialog) wrong character encoding. But not sure is it ok on windows version.

finally wait for dimansioning :)

thanks for your good job

• I just noticed the Model and Layout tabs are briefly shown if I type the Zoom command. After I complete or cancel the command, they disappear as the screen refreshes. I tried a few other commands (drawing and editing), none showed the tabs.

BTW it is blazing FAST! I compared the open time for a 2.4MB 2D dwg file between the Linux Alpha and the Windows V10 demo installed through Wine.

setup:

AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB with proprietary drivers 185.18.36

Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit (GNOME desktop)

File Open time:

Bricscad V10 Windows/Wine 1.1.38: 4 minutes (the windows darkens, the system telltale that the application is unresponsive)

BricscadForLinux V10.3.4-1: 2 seconds!

Pans and zooms are achingly slow with the Windows version (as anyone who's tried would know), they are almost instantaneous with the native Alpha. I figure as fast as on Windows though I haven't compared.

• @ Andrey

Thanks, I just noticed your message. They appear after double-clicking the TILE button as you said, but they disappear as soon as you move your cursor over the model space/layout area and the screen refreshes.

• Chad Wade ... It's not normal. Have Ubuntu 9.04 and don't have this problem.

Normand Chamberland ... Layouts tabs are displayed always, but don't work yet. Yes, current version will expire on February 28, 2010. From main menu try Help ---> About to see the current version. When unzip Bricscad in a folder, remember to "Replace" the previous version of Bricscad files.

• @ elmer gato

I've extracted it to a different folder, not into the previous version's. Since to my (albeit limited) knowledge all required libraries have been put in the Bricscad folder and there is no install process to speak of, I can't see how multiple Alpha versions couldn't cohabit side by side. But for the record, I did erase the previous Alpha folder. And it is v10.3.4 that I am using, the about Bricscad windows shows as such.

Am I the only one that "suffers" the Model&Layout tabs disappearing act?

• @Normand Chamberland

Am I the only one that "suffers" the Model&Layout tabs disappearing act?

you not alone. I have the same. But I'm sure that developers know about that. :)

@all

lisp is working for me

I have troubles with cyrillic letters with ttf font. Not sure that with all fonts. In one case I have a problem with cyrillic chracters in style name. But not sure that this issue is systematic. So I will made a little reserch with character encoding.

on my laptop witn ati VGA Xpress 1100 - RC410, with open source drivers, when I have select in the left side selecting rectangle displayed with solid line, not dashed.

• Woow

everything works, i draw first commercial drawing in it (simple one, but first)

to bad i cant print it from linux :)

very good, i am amazed

• Normand Chamberland wrote: 

And when I open Bricscad, the warning popup window still tells me that "the current version will expire on February 28, 2010!", which is unchanged from the V10.3.1.1-1. Is that normal? Or is it some residual setting from the old version saved somewhere on my system?

When making the latest alpha, we did not bother to change the expiry date. A next alpha version is expected before that time .

Normand Chamberland wrote:

Since to my (albeit limited) knowledge all required libraries have been put in the Bricscad folder and there is no install process to speak of, I can't see how multiple Alpha versions couldn't cohabit side by side. But for the record, I did erase the previous Alpha folder. 

There is also a configuration file ".Bricscad" in your home folder.   If you want a clean 'install' of the alpha, erase that file.

• Hi, All,

regarding some graphical artefacts and problems (like disappeared layout tabs) - when I use Ubuntu 9.04 using VirtualBox, I also have such disappearing layout tabs, and few other graphical and artefact problems ... but when I run the same Ubuntu 9.04 with VMWare, virtually all those problems are gone !

So if you run VirtualBox, be aware of such problems ... alternatively, try VMWare or VMWare Player (which also allows to create VMs now).

Many greetings to all.

• dxf is not supported yet?

• If font Arial is used - all Russian letters are displayed by squares. If a font to change on Arial Black - all is excellent.

• All shx-fonts display Russian characters in the form of question marks. But in "PropertiesBar" - the correct text.

• Under "Text Style" dialog box, if change "Font Name" to other than txt.shx, Bricscad exit without promp

• elmer gato wrote:

"dxf is not supported yet?"

I was able to save a V11/V12 ASCII DXF (it opened fine in QCad v2.2.2), but not open it back.

I just noticed that support for saving in DWG/DXF is now limited to V11/V12 and up (checked with the Windows version too). It used to be you could go all the way back to V2.5.

I guess this is the result of using the ODA's OpenDWG libraries instead of the ITC's.

(The first AutoCAD release I tried was *gasp* V2.17!!!)

@ Torsten Moses

Odd that you don't have graphical problems with VMWare virtualization. I run Ubuntu 9.10 natively and I have them.

------

Other graphical glitches nobody mentioned: the toolbar "grips" and the border space left around the model area don't adjust to the desktop theme. They stay the same tan color.

Toolbar icons are bigger than in the Windows version. I rather like it.

Icons in the Layers pull-down have a black background, likewise in the Drawing Explorer.

• Hello, Normand, yes, that is the advantage of virtualisation :-)

VMWare + VBox have their own standard "hardware" drivers, especially for disk + video ...
    so simply, that intermediate layer can be tolerant and/or catch issues and problems.

On my hardware, I would probably not be able to run Linux ... but virtualisers can even make the things more worse, sometimes.

• I hope with the BETA Release with respect to Bricscad for Linux that you will do a DEB install package versus zip.   Unzipping the ALPHA software is problematic and requires undocumented steps.  Also as noted one must run/start the program by 'bricscad.sh' which under Ubuntu 9.1 notes 'write permissions' are not granted.  The program will run but it cycles through a fare number of these write permission screens before starting up in the Bricscad screen etc.

I do not expect a response regarding this matter, just hoping that you're aware (obviuosly) of the install and start up issues.  So PLEASE for the BEAT release candidates I hope you'll create a DEB install package.

• @Philip Street

oh god

linux != ubuntu

so please respect other distributions and jut be patient.

• @ Andrey Didencool

Linux have lots of distros and I like it.

Philip Street want a DEB but not only a DEB (I think that he want releases candidates, like do Opera Browser)

• @ Philip

I am on Ubuntu 9.10 (there is no "9.1": the first number denotes the year, 2009, the second number denotes the month's release which was October, there was no release in January)

I've had no such "write permissions" problems. I get few "failed to load module" messages and one "Gtk-CRITICAL" in terminal, but that's it.

"Unzipping is problematic and requires undocumented steps"

What steps are there, and why would unzipping be problematic? In the Nautilus file browser, you right-click on the downloaded zip package and select "extract here". Couldn't be simpler. Of course if you want to move it to a directory where root permissions are needed (such as /usr), using Nautilus as root is required, or use of the terminal commands. But IMHO it is not Bricsys' job to explain this. Plenty of help out there for that.

Maybe if you explained your steps and problems in more detail, someone here could help you solve this.

I've created a launcher in my Applications menu by following Bradley Hake's instructions in post #41 of thread "Bricscad for Linux alpha 10.3.3". It is now a snap to launch Bricscad.

I too would prefer a .deb package. For the final release, having install packages for all major distros, plus a generic install package, would be the right thing to do. But I think this requires some work, so it is to be expected that Bricsys not spend energies on that for Alpha or even Beta software, and work rather on the software itself.

• @ Normand Chamberland

Agree 100%

Have Ubuntu 9.04 without permissions problems (unzip under /home folder) and unzip is very easy.

• I have had no problem so far running the program. If uncompressing a folder is a problem, I would suggest that a little time learning the basics is in order.

• thanks. I as able to run BricsCAD by using ṕalyonlinu however, I decided to remove wine and playonlinux as I want a nativ linux environment.

Lorenz

• @ Lorenz

Just as an FYI, PlayonLinux is unnecessary to install the Windows version of Bricscad. You install Wine easily through the Software store or Synaptic, then double click on Bricscad installer as you would on Windows. PlayonLinux, as its name suggests, is mainly to install games.

This discussion has been closed.