Bricscad for Linux alpha 10.3.7

Hello All,

Bricscad for linux alpha 10.3.7 is now available.

If you want to restart with a fresh install, without retaining settings of any previous alpha, remove the file ".Bricscad" in your home folder before the first run.
The alpha is still delivered in a plain zip file.  We are working on the introduction of an installer.  We plan to provide .deb and .rpm installers and a .tar.gz for custom installations.

changes:

- Implemented pasting text to the command bar.
- The recent file list is now persistent.  Before this fix, the recent file list was always empty when restarting Bricscad.
- Fixed problems with gradient dialog.
- It should now be possible to use Dimensions.  Missing *.drx files were added to the alpha zip.
- It's now possible to browse the history of old commands using the UP/DOWN keys when the command bar is active.
- Fixed showing of toolbars in the Drawing Explorer.
- Enabled execution of hardcoded accelerator keys on Linux (DELETE, F1...F12). They are currently only executed when the drawing window has focus.
- Update name of current view when current drawing is saved with another name, and add the new drawing file to recent file list.
- The default location of user files has moved from "installation-directory/Bricsys/" to "~/Bricsys/".  In the future, it will be possible to install Bricscad in a read-only system-wide location.  Therefore user files should no longer be in the installation folder.
- Fixed initial window size on opening Bricscad.  Before this fix, Bricscad was fully drawn only after the first key/mouse input.
- In some cases all radiobuttons in a group remained selected. For instance, this happened in the island option of the hatch dialog. fixed.
- Mtext editor: enable Undo-redo buttons.
- Fixed problems with duplicated crosshair cursor.
- Commandline, passing a filename: When a file name that was specified on the command line was not found, Bricscad did not start. This has changed, now Bricscad will start in such case: a new file will be created at startup.
- General improvements to path resolving and file search routines, ie eliminating incorrect windows-only assumptions.  Further work on this overall issue remains.
- Menu customization: Customize > insert keyboard shortcut gave error "Tool not found in MacroGroup?: BRICSCAD.MenuMacroID?"
- Menu customization: Fixed showing of warning dialogs after applying the customizations.
- Commandline options: Implemented command line options -s and -p.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

• List of errors:

16:56:01: Main User interface customization file not found: default.cui You can browse to a cui file in the menu command.
    16:56:01: Unable to open program parameters file: default.pgp The file should be in one of the SRCHPATH variable's folders.  No shell commands or command aliases will be available.

My OS: ubuntu 9.10 amd64

Ciao

• Same errors of Andrea. No Command.

• Same problem

12:49:41: Main User interface customization file not found: default.cui You can browse to a cui file in the menu command.
    12:49:41: Unable to open program parameters file: default.pgp The file should be in one of the SRCHPATH variable's folders.  No shell commands or command aliases will be available.

Not usable on Ubuntu 9.10 64

Thanks

• I uploaded a new zip file.  The folder "userdatacache" was missing.

Thanks for reporting this.

I manually collect the contents of the zip file, which is error-prone.

I expect that next time the creation of .deb, .rpm installers and .tar.gz will be automated.

• First of All, thanks for good job :)

in this release almost all features I need,  is in and work of BricsCAD looks stable.

I have many crashes in .6

I copy only binaries, to my previous installed directory, so I did not see any problem with .7

about features

- Implemented pasting text to the command bar.

work fine. but text not past with shiftl+Ins and  by middle mouse button press (this is common in linux)

- The recent file list is now persistent.  Before this fix, the recent file list was always empty when restarting Bricscad.

work fine. but text not past with shiftl+Ins and  by middle mouse button press (this is common in linux)

- It should now be possible to use Dimensions.  Missing *.drx files were added to the alpha zip.

yeah finally this working :) 

- It's now possible to browse the history of old commands using the UP/DOWN keys when the command bar is active.

great feature, thanks

- Enabled execution of hardcoded accelerator keys on Linux (DELETE, F1...F12). They are currently only executed when the drawing window has focus.

they working :) goood

- Commandline options: Implemented command line options -s and -p.

what they did?

•  

I uploaded a new zip file.

No commands. Unable to work.

• To Cielito Lindo

Have you removed the .Bricscad file in your home folder?

• Tijs Vermeulen
    If you want to restart with a fresh install, without retaining settings of any previous alpha, remove the file ".Bricscad" in your home folder before the first run.
    Baiardi Andrea
    Have you removed the .Bricscad file in your home folder?
    No. I tried, but not found. Then i remebered that .files are hiddens files, so i could see it and delete it. Now everything seems ok. Thank you.
  • What to say ? GREAT ! :-)

Impressive changes from previous alpha version !

Now it seems quite stable, 3d solids working, no crashes and it seems to me that speed increased a lot, both for

loading and for displaying.

Ciao

Max

• Great

To repeat a command, if press ENTER works, but if press ENTER from keypad don't work. I don't know why, because when draw a line the keypad enter works to finish the command.

• I have this error when loading, it relates to 64bit system, i think it should search in /usr/lib32/... instead of /usr/lib

et@et-desktop:~/BricscadForLinux-10.3.7-2-en_US$ ./bricscad.sh
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so

(bricscad:4283): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

• not understand why you have such problems

but can you give

>uname -r -o

and

$cat ~/BricscadForLinux-10.3.7-2-en_US/bricscad.sh

I put this script in /usr/bin (I have edit it from relative pathes to full ones) so I can run it from any location (Also this can be done with bash alias)

~> bricscad

(bricscad:5529): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkTreeView::odd-row-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x92bf900)" of type `GString'

(bricscad:5529): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

0xf55587b40xf761e66c

0xf55587b40xf761e7043

0xf55587b40xf761e7600xedcb9218

0xf55587b40xf761e7600xedcb9218

0xf55587b40xf761e5d0

0xf55587b40xf761e66c

0xf55587b40xf761e7041899

0xf55587b40xf761e5d0

0xf55587b40xf761e66c

0xf55587b40xf761e7041899

0xf55587b40xf761e7600xedcb9208(this line is repeated many times)

0xf55587b40xf761e5d0

> (here I am close bricscad)

screenshot of openned drawing with 10.3.7 bricscad

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uha99v.jpg

• Sigh

I just MODELLED with SNAPS in PERSPECTIVE on my LINUX box. I've been waiting so long to say that.

By the way, there were some issues with the snap node markers when drawing in perspective with snaps. The registration of the snap node markers was way off. When I rolled over the snap point, the snap node marker showed up somewhere randomly on the screen. There was no node marker for elements above the horizon line. I understand that bit is pretty tricky. I love and appreciate your work. Please keep it up.

Erik

• Have slow performance when select a Dimension and change the Style from Properties bar.

If select a dimension and zoom have the same problem.

• When hatching all is ok, but when finish, the hatch is invisible. To see it, have to select the hatch (without see it) and apply "Bring to Front"

• I was working in a file with many objects, textures and more. Moving a few items that contained gradient hatch Bricscad crashed. In general it is more stable than before, but sometimes it is still losing. Often when you select objects and move, the screen is filled with the usual contrails seen in previous releases and it becomes difficult to work. This happens with Nvidia but ATI is even worse. Trails will appear after selecting the command and before you select the objects.

• Congratulations, impressive progress!

I suppose reporting issues makes sense from now on.

First impressions playing around on 3 different machines:

- works like a charm on debian lenny running on a 2 Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM and intel i915 driver with dri enabled.
    Outdated as it is, this configuration seems fit to cope with quite any architectural project as long as drafting is concerned.

- pops up an error message (XML parsing error: 'unknown encoding' at line 1 / Cannot load resources from file 'memory:XRC_resource/wxg_xrc.inl$.._.._res_locale_en-US_wxg_dlg_load_linetypes.xrc'.) and then crashes when trying to open the main window on a thinkpad x24 with custom 2.6.33 kernel and radeon driver with dri enabled (regardless whether the user actually has access to the dri or not).
    With dri disabled, the initial error message stays the same (I use LANG=en_US.UTF8), but the program doesn't crash. Overall performance on this rather low end machine (PIII 1.13Ghz/256MB RAM) is acceptable, but the interface feels a bit unresponsive.

- on my beloved 10 years old thinkpad 600e (300Mhz/196MB, neomagic driver with XAA acceleration), the program runs but feels too slow to be usable.
    I installed the windows version on the same machine (w2k) for comparison, and this seems to run a lot (at least 2 times) faster, even sufficient for smaller projects (by the way, I had to give administrative privileges to the user running bricscad). I guess this is mainly due to microsoft's neomagic driver being superior to X.org's, but there have to be other issues (drawing a single line segment on linux takes about half a second to display).

To put all above in context, I should probably mention that I don't run a desktop environment on linux, and that my w2k installation is also stripped down to the minimum.

I tried to test the lisp interface, but this turned out a bit tedious:

(load "xyz") crashes the program

(load "xyz.lsp") fails, although it's in SRCHPATH

only (load "/absolute/path/to/xyz.lsp") works

(getvar "dimdsep") returns an empty string, setting dimdsep on the cli reveals strange trailing characters

(grvecs) initially worked, albeit very slow, and then suddenly stopped producing visible output

(new_dialog) pops up error boxes instead of the wanted dialog e.g.: syntax error - unexpected symbol 'ÿ' and then tries to write a log to the system folder:'/opt/bcad/ERROR.LOG' (error 13: Permission denied)

Some words regarding the interface:

- I sincerely hope that the file tabs and the title bar on the command window aren't meant to stay - after all, the windows version doesn't have them. People might want to run bricscad also on widescreen subnotebooks, and everything that eats screen height away is a very bad idea for that.

- I preferred the plain menus that came with the first alphas, all these icons seem to slow the interface down and look visually unpleasing to me (this is especially true when the gtk background is set to a dark color - this exposes ugly seams around them). I'd like to have a configuration option that skips loading all icons that do not carry information but are just additional eyecandy, or even better, not to have icons compiled in, but stored in a folder and compiled in on-the-fly as needed...

• Hello, Knut,
    regarding crash with (load "name.lsp") - yes, unfortunately, there was a bug, I'm very sorry for ...
    it is already fixed here, and will be fixed in next Alpha, of course.

As you have found, that bug can be bypassed using (load (findfile "name.lsp")).

• Many improvements since I tried Linux alpha 10.3.1.1 !

Opening existing drawings went fine.

I did not succeed to open raster images behind a drawing. Although image management showed the correct path. Is it not yet implemented ? I used a tif file with tfw-location file.

• Hey I just realized that SHADEMODE now works! So no more temporary graphics then?

Still Gouraud shading's not as good looking as in Windows. Looks more like flat shading. Ok that's weird: if I enter the SHADEMODE keyboard command then choose Gouraud, it looks like flat shading. But if I click on the Shade icon on the Render toolbar, then it looks like Gouraud. Likewise if I choose Flat shading in command line. It seems Flat and Gouraud have been reversed.

Real-time sphere tool is fluid and fast.

Flyout toolbars now work, and open by just hovering the pointer over the main button, nice (in Windows you have to click) but the icons in the flyout are cropped.

The tabs for Model & Layouts still don't appear.

Customize contextual menu still shows when doing a right-click on the model window...

The v10.3.7 will stop working in two days... I can't wait for the v10.3.8! ;-)

• BTW, if you're going to keep the top tabs for each opened file, here's a suggestion: add a close button to each tab, like in Firefox or in Nautilus (GNOME 2.28).

• Yes, close buttons if keep the tops tabs.

This discussion has been closed.