DCL & LISP: is there a way to continue lisp after (start_dialog)

Hello everybody,

I am trying my hand at some DCL-programming. The problem I am faced with is that I would like to display a dialog containing a "Please wait" message before some longish lisp action is executed. But the start_dialog command effectively suspends the lisp and the program sits there waiting for user input. Is there a solution for this other than using print/prompt to display the "Please wait" message in the command line?

Thanks in advance, Roy.

Comments

• Dear Roy, there is no way to have DCL dialogs being "modeless" ...

You might have a look at DOSLib from McNeel - not sure, but I guess it has a modeless message box.

DOSLib is free - and available for both Acad + Bricscad.

• OpenDCL will certainly do what you want (and much, much more).  Its also free.

• Dan and Torsten thank you for your anwers.
    I know about DOSLib. But my goal, at least for now, is to do without these functions and try to use "pure lisp".
    OpenDCL is already on my things-I-need-to-learn-more-about-list. It is one of the reasons why I chose the Pro version.

• Roy,

Instead of using please wait, how about using these functions

(acet-ui-progress-init "message" val) ;val = time integer
    (acet-ui-progress-safe n)
    (acet-ui-progress-done)

• Daniel thank you for that tip. Note: the progress bar is displayed in the status bar but the text message is not (BC 10.2.14).

• Hi Daniel, Hi Roy,
    indeed, using progress bar is the better idea :-)
    Unfortunately, Bricscad's progressbar does not yet display a preceeding text ... but Lisp interface already supports this, for compatibility reasons.
    I hope, it will be added once.

This discussion has been closed.