Bricscad (Linux) Beta 10.4.4

2»

Comments

• Hello, Daniel,
    yes, I also get the crashes as you described - can you please send a support request,
    so the issue is logged ?

Many thanks, and many greetings, Torsten

• has bricscad repositorys PPA ??? in that case, what is the ropository of bricscad??? 

• has bricscad repositorys PPA ??? in that case, what is the ropository of bricscad??? 

• @Torsten

Ok thank you I sent a support request. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hard drive or config file issue on my part.

• OK, I get it now. Using Daniel's example with the prompt menu on reliably crashes the program. I use the command line almost exclusively so I had the prompt menu turned off.

• I'm ever so grateful to the Bricscad developers -- at last, its here for Linux.

I downloaded and added the RPM to my local repo and ran yum but, alas!, no Briscad.  Instead I get an error message:

/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

... followed by an AVC denial message:

Summary:

SELinux is preventing /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad from loading
    /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so which requires text relocation.

Detailed Description:

The bricscad application attempted to load /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so which requires text relocation.
    This is a potential security problem. Most libraries do not need this permission.

Libraries are sometimes coded incorrectly and request this permission.
    The SELinux Memory Protection Tests (http://people.redhat.com/drepper/selinux-mem.html) web page explains how to remove this requirement.

You can configure SELinux temporarily to allow /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so to use relocation as a workaround, until the library is fixed. Please file a bug report.

Allowing Access:
    If you trust /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so to run correctly, you can change the file context to textrel_shlib_t. "chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so'" You must also change the
    default file context files on the system in order to preserve them even on a full relabel.

"semanage fcontext -a -t textrel_shlib_t '/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so'"

Fix Command:
    chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libBrxGeo.so'

Its a Fedora Box & I thought, being Upstream to Red Hat,  it should pose no problems. SELinux allows that file to pass when the fix is implemented then halts the next file ... meaning: I may have to fix a lot of files.  How do I get around this?

the TGZ version works. As per my experience with the TGZ version, I share Randy Mahoney's observations (... and Massimo Del Fedele's)

Great work, so far!

• 1. I believe the "save as" window should give the option to save in other formats, like AutoCAD 2004 for instance, the standard being the one defined in "settings".

2. I failed to export to PDF. Indeed, I couldn't find how to do it, though I've seen the "settings" dialog. I'm not a heavy user and I may be doing it wrong, yet a more intuitive interface would be welcome.

3. I found using the "hatch" window confusing. Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. Once again, it may be my mistake, but it was more intuitive with IntelliCAD.

I've installed the beta on BigLinux 4.2 (based on Kubuntu 8.04), running from a Live CD (no HD). It worked fine on 1GB RAM, Sempron 2600 processor.

• Houston we have a (big) problem.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/unsupported.html

Mostly hp plotter are unsupported from HP, and have a problem with the open driver (linuxprinting.org).

I have a Hp t60 24", but i use the HP Designjet 650c driver with ALL problems that they have.

Bye

• <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Hello

I tried the command "union" or "subtract" of solid modeling and do not work .. This only happens to me?

• Hi all, I've made a luncher and an icon for Bricscad!! :-)

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=125096

I found a good Bricsys logo on the web, then I modified it with GIMP to obtain the icon, I hope there's no copyright problem sharing Bricscad logo on gnome-look...^___^

• Daniel,

me crash too, but not always. Sometimes crash when stretching or moving entities. It's stable but sometimes have a crash (exits without prompt)

• Hello everybody!

Thanks to Bricsys for this fantastic breakthrough. At last Linux has a suitable CAD option! Great work and high hopes for the near future.

I've had abosolutely no installation problems with the .deb file in Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), it went flawlessly. Considering this is a beta version, the general impression is quite good. Here are some comments and suggestions:

1 .  I cannot but agree with Massimo del Fedele about the need for a cross on the drawing tabs. BTW these tabs are a great idea and suggest they be also included in the Windows version.  Tab height is a bit too generous. A narrower tab would work equally well and eat up less screen real state.

2.   Again, Massimo has a point with Toolbars. However, I feel that toolbar icons are too small (as compared with those of the Windows version) and therefore the surrounding space goes out of proportion.  Also, as Giacomo Porrá points out, every toolbar has its last icon missing. You can check this with Customizing/Toolbars. The command and the icon are there but cannot be accessed from the toolbar itself.

3.  Moving toolbars is somewhat erratic. The two vertical ones on the sides cannot be placed horizontally. If floating the are still vertical. Also, I moved the one on the right to the left side (in order to have the two bars side by side - which presently cannot be done) and accidentally pushed the Draw 2D bar out of sight.  I was unable to recover this bar no matter how much I tried!

4.  Sometimes, while panning or zooming with the mouse wheel, I get a trail of the _whole_ drawing. Pressing Esc usually clears the resulting mess. Very annoying.

Anyhow, keep the good work. We need Bricscad for Linux.

Hector Acevedo

• Hector Said:
    Tab height is a bit too generous. A narrower tab would work equally well and eat up less screen real state.

Is that something they can change? Seems to me like a GTK limitation ... except GTK allows a tab height property change.  The height looks the same in nautilus in my distro. What I thought might be helpful is a reduction in length of text representing the name of an open document. A long file name could be abbreviated with trailng dots e.g "Details-of-Bl...".  Hence, we get tabs of same length.

Hector Said:
    I feel that toolbar icons are too small (as compared with those of the Windows version) and therefore the surrounding space goes out of proportion.

I think its the width of the toolbar/button that is too wide ... creating the impression of small icons.

Summary:
    The GUI needs to retouched a bit.  We'd appreciate a change that increases the size of the Drawing Window AMAP.

• @ Hector Acevedo

You can customize toolbar position, right click on the status bar, choose "Customize...", then click "Toolbars" tab, choose a toolbar and you can select the position (floating, top, left, bottom, right) and other stuff.

• Hi - Wow - It's starting to work! Yay!

I had to find libGLU.so.1 and make it available for Bricscad. I did that by loading "mesa," which might interfere with my nVidia drivers. Let's hope not.

Bricscad opens fast and from an empty drawing is quite peppy compared to my windows Bricscad.

Attempting to open a drawing that is "read only," causes the program to become unresponsive. Maybe a bug.

Some very large files of mine open easily and quickly and are editable. Some small drawings will not open at all, nor can I "recover" them. I don't know why yet.

Some text substitution is attempted in some drawings (for text styles I didn't think I used) and the program will get hung up in that and never open the drawing.

I can't open most of my existing drawings (I suspect it has something to do with text styles,) but I'm happy linux Bricscad has made it this far and I look forward to further developments.

I tested the RPM Beta on Opensuse 11.2 (Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop x86_64) with nVidia graphics card.

Thanks guys - looking forward to the next beta.

John

• Hi - I retract my observation that "read only" drawings cause Bricscad to freeze. My first attempts to open read-only drawings were of drawings that contained something else that was causing Bricscad to freeze and it wasn't the read-only status. - John

• Today I had been drawing for two hours. I had noticed that each 5 or 10 minutes Bricscad crash (exit without prompt) when moving, stretching, coping, etc objects. Don't know if this happens only two me.

• Ok, i brake the boxes....

For Tijs...

Can you (or other developer) crate a web pages with suggestions for configure the plotter? Because various (recent) plotter are unsupported form linuxprinting.org, or are "supported" on compatibility older driver of older plotter.

For example, i have HP Designjet t610, but i use Designjet 650c driver. With this driver i can't use custom size, over other issues that they have.

Bye and thank you

• ... BTW these tabs are a great idea and suggest they be also included in the Windows version....

@ Hector

have a look at this

http://www.bricscad.com/common/applications/application.jsp?app=256&apploc=410

• Always when I double click on a block to edit its attributes the application crashes with segmentation fault.
    While in properties bar attributes can be edited fine.

Is fixed in Bricscad 10.4.6-1.

This discussion has been closed.