Load Ubuntu Version on Kubuntu Based Machine

Hi everyone. Just wanted to put a word in for the Kubuntu/KDE crowd (Karmic-KDE 4.3.2). Loaded the Ubuntu version on my relatively new Intel DP55KG MB w/nvidia 9800gtx video card. Everything loaded fine except a menu item didn't appear in the KDE environment. For those interested in using this environment, the main files are located in the /opt/bricscad/bricscad folder(s). The file that starts and loads Bricscad is a 109 byte file located in the /usr/bin folder. Simply navigate there with Dolphin and double click one of the two bricscad files. The files can also be found using the KDE Kfind command.

This should bring up Bricscad if your machine is compatible. Next, go over to the left lower big "K" KDE application launcher in the tray and right click. Left click the menu editor and add a new menu item in one of the main categories (I chose graphics). Fill in the details and you should be on your way. I used simply "bricscad" for the command entry and everything came up fine.

Gimp makes fast work of creating an icon. I picked a screen logo image off of this site and used the crop tool to window just the logo. Scale to the required 32 x 32 pixels and do a Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha to get rid of the white background. Save in a convenient location and load/reference the graphic in the menu editor. Navigate to/through  the KDE menu structure to the graphic section and right click on your new Bricscad menu item to place a start item on your desktop.

My monitor is a modest Viewsonic 16:9 1080P Full HD LCD type. I've got the KDE tray optioned to normally be off and auto-magically reappear only when needed. This gives me a full/clean uncluttered drawing environment. Next task is to find out how to load my old Windows .sht fonts and my Lisp routines. Everything is looking up at the moment. The program seems to use the Linux print system without issues. In my case I print to a network attached (Ethernet) print server and on to HP Postscript based printers. More later if I get time.