Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx - LTS)

Not much discussion here on Kubuntu so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My base machine MB is an Intel DP55KG w/Nvidia 9800gtx video. Monitor is a Viewsonic 1080P H.D. 32 bit Kubuntu was loaded because of the current problems with drivers and general support of 64 bit software. Machine supports either.

10.04 Lucid is still a little buggy but I've found work-arounds for most problems. Downloaded the DEB version of Bricscad 10.4.9 and it installed flawlessly. Menu icon showed up in the graphic section of KDE menu with no help from me. Right clicking on the menu icon and picking desktop gets the icon installed on your desktop. I found file locations as follows -

Changelog - usr/share/doc/bricscadv10

Menu Icons and app start file - usr/share/applications

Fonts - opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/fonts

List Routines - opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/support

For maximum drafting speed I prefer to enter 2 - 3 character commands on the command line. To speed things up even more, I've written a simple lisp routine that loads at program start. The routine allows multiple commands to be executed from a single simple command entry. I've transferred the lisp routine from Windows to this program but it doesn't run for me. Windows generated drawings load flawlessly in this program.

I don't use plotters. I output to network connected high resolution monochrome HP Laserjets via 100Mbit wired Ethernet. The printing works fine except I can't yet get the colors in the drawings converted to black with a set line width. This makes for very sharp looking detailed monochrome drawings.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience loading lisp routines or outputing to HP Laserjets. The program is much improved from the last version. I'm really looking forward to the remaining issues being solved.

Thank You - tom.blanford@paonia.com

Comments

• Tom Blanford,

Not a direct answer to your question, but: the line widths are there and the colors can be converted to black and plotted if you load the drawings into windows versions or even in the Autocad viewer... so the deficiency is just in the plotting in the Linux version. That and the inability to deal with other than shx fonts are the only real problems I've come across. (Using Ubuntu, not Kubuntu).

• Hello, Tom,

can you please send that failing Lisp file (and related resources,
    if necessary) to a support request ?
    I would really like to anylyse what happens - as we want to provide
    a maximum compatibility, especially for Lisp.

Many thanks in advance !

This discussion has been closed.