Fields - Object Properies

Although the fields idea seems to work in BCad v10, it doesn't have IMO the most usefull feature of ACad's fields: Object Properites. I use the Area property extensively in ACad to get room areas and such from polylines. Also linking 2 or more block attributes values into one. This is impossible in BCad.

Anyone know of a way to get round this?

Comments

• Like the idea of your tools. It's similar to what I made for ACad 2004, years ago. My updated code uses fields though, and can work with any existing piece of text (MText, DText, Block-Attribs). http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=98524

The reason I moved away from the reactor based tools is that with field it's not necessary for the plug-in to be loaded so the values update. You can send your live drawing to someone, they can edit the geometry and the field displays the updated result (without them even having the plug-in).

• I agree with you about advantage of Fields. However I started to play with reactors decade ago :) and these tools enabled similar options for older versions of AutoCAD and from now for Bricscad.

• Fields still do not support object properties, so I find limited (none, actually) use for the functionality. V11 has dynamic blocks support, but no way of actually creating them.

One could suspect certain Bricscad enhancements are made to expand the acad vs bcad comparison table rather than actually offering useful functionality to the users. A clearly stated intention of fully supporting these functions would be appreciated.

<p$1$2$3$4$5$6> 

<p$1$2$3$4$5$6> 
  • AutoCAD LT 2006 had the ability to modify inserts of dynamic blocks but no means to create them. I'd imagine creating a block authoring tool similar to the one that appeared in subsequent versions of ACAD is a major undertaking - I assume Bricsys is on with it (and knowing Bricsys they won't charge us Autodesk-scale costs to have use of it), but it does no harm putting out the work 'to date' that they've done so that people can at least modify dynamic-block-containing drawings that people using AutoCAD are working on. Just having that functionality by itself is very useful to anyone who works with files sent from AutoCAD users on a regular basis. It'd be a shame to hold it back until all the functionality was ready.

Of course it does open a nice commercial window for anyone on here who has both AutoCAD and BricsCAD to sell bespoke dynamic blocks to us BricsCAD users :)

This discussion has been closed.