Bricscad (Linux) Beta 10.6.1

Hello All,

Bricscad (Linux) beta 10.6.1 is now available.

Bricscad for Linux is in beta stage. It is possible to file support requests. Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee a quick response in this early stage.

Please check our website for updates and inspect the Release notes.  During the beta stage of Bricscad for Linux, the Release notes will contain an updated list of known issues.

fixes:
- Fixed display of non-english characters in (some) TTF fonts. TTF fonts can contain multiple character maps. Inappropriate use of the freetype library caused an incorrect character map to be selected.
- SR25409: In the Find and Replace dialog, when trying to find some text, the "find next" button was never activated.  Fixed.
- SR24584, SR25101: Lisp issue: Particular characters, depending on codepage, were not correctly converted fom UTF-8 to Unicode. Fixed.
- The settings variable "GLSWAPMODE" was introduced to influence the OpenGL update mechanism.  In principle each update mechanism should result in a good display.  However, in practice the behaviour differs over different OpenGL drivers.  When experiencing display problems, consider modifying this variable.
- SR24942: Lisp issue: Implemented (get_diskserialid) function to provide a licensing base for Lisp applications.
- SR25516: The pickbox was not visible if its size was set to 10 or lower.  This issue was caused by referring to windows cursor resources, which are absent on linux.  Fixed.
- Printing:
    - From now on the layout name will be included in the print job name.
    - The paper size selection has been improved. More drivers and paper sizes should work now. Further improvements are being investigated.

known issues:
- Four toolbar docking areas exist: top, bottom, left, right. A toolbar docked in one area cannot be docked into another area by dragging. For instance, a toolbar with horizontal layout will not switch to vertical layout by dragging it to the left side.  The customize dialog can be used to dock the toolbar in another area.
- In the main graphics window of Bricscad (Linux), a mouse arrow is always visible.  Indeed, the display of custom mouse pointers in the main graphics window is not yet implemented on Linux.  By the design of Bricscad, the lack of a mouse pointer is also a custom mouse pointer.  This feature has been deliberately postponed, in favor of more important features.
- When starting Bricscad from terminal, this error message may appear: "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed".
- In the settings dialog, previews are not visible and the layout of the description is incorrect until the settings dialog is resized.
- The COPYCLIP window and the Bricscad Prompt History window appear as a separate application in the application bar.
- Installation issues on 64 bit. It is possible to run Bricscad (Linux) on a 64 bit system. However, the Bricscad (Linux) installers do not automatically add all required 32 bit libraries. Additional manual setup is needed.

To receive notification for subsequent versions, you can subscribe to the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed.
It is also possible to access the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed as html page.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

• I don't see a good reason to include nvidia-glx-185 as a dependency for deb package (I use it on intel video chip).

It requires libc6-i686, but I have libc6-i386 installed instead, which is fine (do you develop it on maverick?).

So for others on 64bit: if you had previous bricscad installed (all dependencies solved), simply install with sudo dpkg -i --force-all Bricscad.deb , there are no new ones.

After closing. program exits with segmentation fault, as you probably know.

To Development team: thanks for fixing unicode support.

• Thank you for the new Beta.

There is still an issue regarding package requirements on 64-bit systems. The issue existed on the previous release as well, but was removed after I wrote at the forums. Until this is fixed, here is a copy of what I wrote the last time about how to install it manually (testet on Ubuntu 9.10):

The previous versions worked perfectly, if you had the libc6-i386 package installed. Now the bricscad deb package is asking for an optimized version (libc6-i686) which isn't available for 64bit distros. But it is just a package issue - if you unpack the deb manually, it still works with the libc6-i386 package installed. You can unpack it as follows:

sudo dpkg-deb -X pathToPackage/BricscadClassic-V10.4.12-1-en_US.deb /

now you can run it as normal.

• @Mattias Põldaru

I usually never use --force-all because that makes the whole packaging system basically unusable. I check the dependencies myself and in case something happens like the thing with the libc package, you can install the i386 version per hand and then tund the extract command like I wrote on my last post. Messing with the package system is potentially dangerous, so this is only recomended for experienced users.

• A new version without the compromising dependencies is now available.

I am sorry, I indeed made the same mistake again.  During a redesign of our installer building system, I accidently reintroduced the incorrect dependencies.  The redesign was needed to be able to add our EULA (End User License Agreement) to the installer description.

• Funny. It segfaults on my machine (Ubuntu Lucid, 32bit):

(bricscad:18322): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

• I have a problem with running 10.6.1 on my opensuse 11.3 x86-64

LANG=en_EN.UTF8 bricscadv10  (process:3707): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library (process:3707): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.        Using the fallback 'C' locale. (bricscad:3707): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failedОшибка сегментирования

previous versions running fine

• I can install, but I get no usable display in the drawing window.  All toolbars, command line, etc. are present and fully functioning - (i.e. input is accepted, etc.) but I can't see anything where the drawing should be.

I'm configured for a black background, and I'm getting the whole drawing area in a light gray with only the system main window color visible.

I'm currently running the Xorg default video drivers with ATI Radeon 9200 SE graphic card.

I have the same issue with previous version 10.4.12.

• Ubuntu 10.04.1, 32 bit.
    In a graphic mode bricscad it is not started. In the terminal:

(bricscad:6198): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion ` GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable) ' failed
    Ошибка сегментирования

•         libgg.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgg.so.1 (0xb5c3a000)
    libslang.so.2 => /usr/lib/libslang.so.2 (0xb5b2b000)
    [maurizio@Mandy32-Dev ~]$ bricscad

(bricscad:4118): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault
    [maurizio@Mandy32-Dev ~]$

Sorry, 'Segmentation fault' on Mandriva 2010.1 32bits.

Back to version 10.4.12-3

Maurizio

• Hi,

same problem with ubuntu 10.04   any solutions yet?

(bricscad:1924): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

• Bricscad 10.6.1 is closing when it opens?? Is this normal?
  • Running under Debian Testing (Squeeze) also results in a segfault.

Before the segfault it displays the splash screen and complains that it cannot set the locale to en_US.

• 10.6.1-3 have a same problem with start as 10.6.1-1

window "trial period will expire in some days"  is displayed before bricscad crashed

• It seems that Bricscad develops it on Maverick, which introduced the --march i686, which may create a lot of incompatibility. If this is the case, we need double builds, one with --march i686 (for maverick) and one without (for everybody else). (Also forgive me, if I am mistaken here.)

• It seems that Bricscad develops it on Maverick, which introduced the --march i686, which may create a lot of incompatibility. If this is the case, we need double builds, one with --march i686 (for maverick) and one without (for everybody else). (Forgive me, if I am mistaken here.)

• It seems that Bricscad develops it on Maverick, which introduced the --march i686, which may create a lot of incompatibility. If this is the case, we need double builds, one with --march i686 (for maverick) and one without (for everybody else). (Forgive me, if I am mistaken here.)

If this is true... It is asking for trouble..

Better is to build on a older distro.

As far as I know, Slackware is one of the few distro that don't patch the kernel, glib etc etc...

Maurizio

• bricscad:3349): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    /home/linzhen/bin/bricscad: line 3:  3349 Segmentation fault           /bin/sh bricscad.sh

• Dear All,

as it seems, this segmentation fault (memory exception) is caused by
    a minor change to Lisp engine's memory management - unfortunately,
    under particular memory conditions of the computer, an un-aligned address
    for dynamic memory allocation was used.

Unlike Windows, the Linux "mmap" virtual memory management doesn't automatically
    allign addresses.

This issue has been fixed today (Sunday) - I will notify Tijs Vermeulen to create a
    new installer with fixed Lisp engine.

I'm very sorry for this trouble - unfortunately, I never got this segfault on my 4 Linux
    versions installed, due to assigned memory (1 GB).

• Excellent! Thanks Torsten.

I am impressed that you are posting this late on a Sunday evening.

It is about 20 years since I last used LISP but it is reassuring to know that it is still being supported :)

• Good Morning!

My problem is, that i have  a valid windows licence, and i can't buy licence to linux. When a start the linux beta, it asks for a valid licence. How to solve this?

• @Tibor Kovács

use trial license it is full funcional

ask for serial your reseller or directly Bricsys... or look this linux forum for another solution

• Thank You, but it does not allow (don't show) to use trial licence. Have any exact trial licence code?

• I think you need to delete the '.license' file from the '.bricsys' folder in your home directory.

When you restart Bricscad the license key dialogue will pop up again and you can choose to run with the trial key.

• Really thank you! Solved.

• waitng for new package from Tij

• I would usually submit a support request but many others are reporting similar crashes here.

I am trying to use 10.6.1-3 on Ubuntu UNE 10.04 32 bit on an Intel Atom D510MO motherboard with 2 GO RAM. The Atom cpu seems to cause strange behaviour with the standard ubuntu 10.04 installation. I was getting odd desktop failures and Evolution would not load.

I installed the trial key received in late July which is to expire at end of August (tomorrow). Bricscad started, displayed the full screen and then crashed.

Starting Bricscad from a terminal results in the same crash and the following is displayed on the terminal:

(bricscad:2085): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

I'm looking forward to the next update to the beta (10.6.1-4 ?) later today or tomorrow as per Torsten Moses posting last night.

• Dear All,
    meanwhile the memory allocation problem (for Lisp engine memory)
    has been identified and fixed ...
    Nevetherless, from some feedback, there might still be chances for that
    mentioned crash, especially reported from OpenSUSE.

So if the problem remains with next Bricscad Linux, there seems to be
    a workaround :
    in Bricscad program folder you will find a configuration file for the Lisp engine :
    liblispex.so.cfg
    There you will find an entry named
    VM_MAXIMUM_MEM    # 0
    This controls the amount of memory allocated by Lisp engine at startup - 0 means
    "default" which usually results in around 128 MB (reserved, not really allocated).

If you (still) encounter the crash, you can try to set
    VM_MAXIMUM_MEM    # 80
    which means the Lisp engine reserves 80 MB memory.

This setting was safe for OpenSUSE user, as reported.

Nevetherless, we are investigating hard to solve the issue.
    So lets see what next build will show.

Many greeitngs to all, and again, very sorry for the trouble :-(

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!