Dimensions do not move when they're being stretched

I often use the "stretch" command to move dimension lines.  On AutoCAD, when dimensions are selected and stretched, they move dynamically with the mouse.  This makes it easy to place them where I want.  My Bricscad 10.4.18 build 19351 moves other drawing entities dynamically with mouse movements, but it doesn't move dimensions dynamically - they only move after the left mouse button is clicked; then they jump from the old position to the new position.

Is there a setting I can change to enable dimensions to move dynamically as they're being stretched? 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I don't know of a setting, but I'm not sure the behaviour has always been this way.

They do update when a grip point is picked rather than stretch, if that's any help.

• Are you referring to Associative Dimensions? There's a bit about this in the help file.

• Thank you both the the replies. 

As John noted, I also see dimensions move dynamically when I use a grip.

The associatve nature of the dimensions is fine; I'm only concerned with moving the dimension leaders and text dynamically, so they can be accurately positioned.  I often use the stretch command to move groups of dimensions together, so using the dimension's grips does not help, because alhough grips move the dimensions move dynamically (which is nice), they must then be moved one at a time (which is tedious).

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Dimensions sharing a grip point will all update in RT moving that grip point.

You are not using the dimension readout to dictate distances? That would probably only be accurate to the nearest full mm or inch.

• Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes - the real time update when dimensions are moved using a grip is exactly what I would like to see when doing the same thing to a group of dimensions (which do not share a grip point) with a stretch command.  The stretch command does real time updating nicely with drawing entties such as lines, but not with dimensions.  Therefore I think it's probably possible for it to work for dimensions, but may be inhibited by a setting.

I'm not using dimensions to dictate distance, only to express distance. 

• Sorry to interrupt, but Daniel asked "Are you referring to Associative Dimensions?" That gave me a ray of hope.

Aren't dimensions always associative now?
    If there's still some way to create non-associative dimensions, or to turn off the associativity, that would make my life easier; but I was under the impression that non-associative dimensions were dropped after v8. Or am I misunderstanding it?

• I think you can toggle this for new dimensions by using the dimassoc system var

• I set Dimassoc to 1 (non-associative) in the on_doc_load because I would often open a file to see associative dimensions had made new arrangements about their positioning.

I don't know if that problem has gone away, but Dimassoc doesn't make dims visibly stretchable either way.

I'm fairly sure dims used to behave the way Paul is looking for, I missed it myself just yesterday when I wanted to stretch a row of dims away from their entities a bit - couldn't tell where they were going to land.

• We've indeed found a problem in dynamical display of dimensions during the stretch command. Whether the dimension is associative or not does not make any difference. This is only a problem with visual feedback during the stretch command, the stretch operation itself completes successfully.

We'll fix it asap, thanks for pointing it out to us.

• Thanks for the tip on DIMASSOC, Daniel and John. That jogged my memory, and now I remember there was a DIMDISASSOCIATE command in AC, and maybe that's why I remember being able to remove associativity from dimensions that are already drawn. I can't find an equivalent in Brics, but I guess I could make one with Lisp if need be. Maybe getting rid of the 102 group codes would do it. Does anyone happen to know?

• Dimdisassociate works for me.

This discussion has been closed.