[shift]+[space] != [space] but should

As annoying as a gnat buzzing my ear:

[shift]+[space] does not give a space, which it does in the old Windows version I use.

E.G.:

to move the last drawn object 12" to the right, my fingers will do this

m l [space] [space] [shift & hold] @ [space] @[release]12,0 [space] - windows version

m l [space] [space] [shift & hold] @ [release] [space] [shift & hold] @[release]12,0 [space] - in linux

@12,0 instead of m l  @ @12,0 [error] @ @12,0. Usually a few [esc]'s thrown in and a bit of bad language.

Note that I use the space bar instead of [enter] because I tend to have the mouse in my right hand and the keyboard in my left and my left doesn't reach the [enter] key easily.

btw, [shift]+[enter] = [enter] as it should.

Comments

• As a workaround you could use relative displacement, like MOVE 12,0 <enter> <enter>

• Maybe this is different for me since my keyboard is PT and not EN, but what's wrong with not typing the @ character and just pressing [space] when it asks you for the base point and then not pressing @ again and just typing 12,0? That works just fine on my system and requires less typing.

• Thanks Ricardo and Bruno, you've taught me a new trick. I learned AutoCAD more than 20 years ago (version 1.something) and the method you described was not available then. You could either move something absolutely to, say, 12,0 or relatively to, say, @12,0 - there was no option to put a space in for a coordinate. I'm very happy to learn the new trick. I was wondering what things I did in an old-fashioned way because I hadn't kept up-to-date. Now I know one of them.

Nevertheless, the example was only to illustrate a problem, which remains, that if you have the shift key depressed and hit the space bar, nothing is typed and it should produce a space.

This discussion has been closed.