SPLINE edit / convert / snap

Hi,

I was given some 2D blocks to work with from an external consultant. These contain SPLINEs. I now need to make some changes to these blocks, but find it impossible with Bricscad. I can only edit the SPLINES by dragging the Nodes when they are selected. I can't convert the SPLINES to anything that Bricscad can work with, and I can't trace the SPLINES, because ESNAP doesn't snap to the Nodes.

I would be thankful for any suggestions, what to do.

Regards, S.

Comments

• About all I can think is Stretch will work if it includes a node. They are hard to find because they won't be highlighted during Stretch and the spline had to be created with more than start and end points. Snap Int will work where it crosses another entity, but that's probably not much help.

•  

Thanks, for the reply. So, there's not much I can do with SPLINEs at the moment. I hope Bricscad will have some basic editing support for SPLINEs in the future. Being able to SNAP to the Nodes would be a start. Then, at least, I could trace an approximation with a PLINE.

I'll submit that to the wishlist.

Regards, S.

• Support for conversion of splines to plines will be added in the coming months.

Meanwhile, perhaps a lisp utility can be found to convert splines?

• Hi Simon,

One way to convert a SPLINE object into a polyline with different conversion options is to use a third-party tool like GeoTools. Look under GeoTools -> Conversion -> Splines to polyline (or type GT_SPL2PL on Bricscad command line).

- rakesh.rao@4d-technologies.com
    - www.4d-technologies.com / www.coordsys.com
    - Blog:EN: http://rakeshrao.typepad.com
    - Blog: ES: http://kiranabhat.typepad.com

• You could try this:

- Save the spline dwg under a new name to a release 12 dwg.
    - Open the new drawing and save it once to turn it into a release 2010 dwg.
    - In the new dwg the splines have become faceted polylines that can be copy-pasted back to the original drawing.
    - If the faceted look is not acceptable then the facets will be very helpful in tracing the spline.
    - You can also try using PEDIT > FIT on the faceted polyline.

This discussion has been closed.