Printing Output and Font Display

Mandriva Linux release 2010.0 x86_64

Hi all. Not sure if this has been covered before. I would like to change the default font as displayed in MTEXT text box. The style is STANDARD and the font TXT. However when I print the resulting font is very unusual - displaying extended points on M N and W letters. I have trouble identifying this font. I need to change it. Has anyone used the font mapping file on Bricscad ?

Comments

• I've seen these pointed leters when using the romans.shx font file that comes with bricscad. The solution I found was to use the romans.shx font file from an old autocad package, which cappers the angles correctly.

These pointed letters are a sloppy design IMO.

• I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some information.

The OP was saying that the default font, TXT, comes out with strangely pointy letters. I am a long-time AutoCAD user, so I know the answer to this symptom.

The pointed letters are not a sloppy design, as Bruno suggests. Bricscad is able to use SHX fonts, which are a kind of font made out of CAD entities (lines). TXT is an example of a SHX font. Somewhere on your system you will find a "txt.shx" file. Try "locate txt.shx" in a terminal.

Because SHX files are made of CAD lines, whatever line-weight you assign to the text is reflected in the printed output of that text. For example, if you use a light line-weight the text will printy out very lightly. If you use a heavy line-weight, the text will appear bolded.

The other part of the equation is that CAD lines can have different "join styles". Sometimes lines are joined by filleting, other times by chamfering, other times by creating points.

When text comes out with funny points on the N's, M's, V's, and so on, it is because it is an SHX font, the line-weight is somewhat heavy, and the join style of the line is set to make points.

The solutions that come to mind are:

1) Use a true type font. Do the command "st" in the Bricscad command line and that will let you change the text style. Select a true type font that works well on your system. Unfortunately, Bricscad true type fonts do not appear to be working too well at the moment (11.3.16, 2011-07-28).

2) Take care what line weight you use when using SHX fonts.

3) If the problems persists, change the join style of the line you are using for the SHX fonts. The join style can be changed in the "plot style table". In the plot style table you can change the line weight and join style of every color used.

• Thanks for your input - very useful information.

• Hmmm. That was one of the first things I tried. Print preview shows the correct joints, but the printout (CUPS-PDF) still get pointed angles. If I substitute the shx font file for the AutoCAD one it prints correctly. Tested with romans and simplex.

*BUT* if I print using Bricscad's internal PDF export, it honors the joint type. So there's something in Bricscad shx fonts that make them render incorrectly to PS/PDF using cups-pdf, a problem that the autocad fonts do *NOT* have.

I still think there's something (half) wrong in bricscad font design. But not sloppy, I see now.

• Bruno, it sounds like you tested this in a thorough way, so I agree with your conclusion that there must be something different about the two SHX files.

It's interesting that with internal PDF output, the Bricscad SHX respects the line join style, but using cups-pdf it does not respect the line join style. That would be an interesting clue for somebody.

This reminds of the problem I am having with True Type fonts. When I used the internal PDF output, True Type fonts are rendered correctly as smooth font objects. But when using cups-pdf for output, fonts are faceted and awful looking. Lack of good True Type fonts in PDF output has so far been the deal breaker for me.

• @ Michael - I have the same problem with TTFs. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read your comment here - prints sent to pdf cups have poor looking text. I also noticed that line weights are a little too heavy. Not sure if it's the way Bricscad writes to cups or a problem with cups-pdf. I'll post a support request re this.

• Just to let you know, Bricscad folk are aware of the problem with some fonts when printing to cups-pdf and they have a fix "scheduled."

• Heh, yes I also sent them a message about the font issue, within a few days of downloading the trial. And got a similar response.

I didn't notice a problem with line weights, thanks for bringing that up. I will have to check to see how noticeable it is. I don't need/want any bells and whistles in a CAD package, but I do need rock-solid "basics". And one of those for me is PDF quality. Thanks again for the alert about line weights.

My speculation is that the problem is not in cups-pdf itself. Using other applications and cups-pdf I can create good-looking font output, for example. I can't say that I've tested line weights though... I still think it must have something to do with how Bricscad sends the drawing out. I don't know how much of PDF output is the application's responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.