other cad progs to bricks

My company using a specisfic cad software for a long time and today we met with bricscad. Is it going to be easy to transfer our vba and lisps to brickscad? Anyone tried this before? Would you please let me know about possible problems?

Best regards,
Berker

Comments

• Yep, As far as API compatibility goes, Bricscad is by far the best.

Lisp, VBA, ARX, and now .NET (beta)  can all run on Bricscad

• It is for sure they are supported Daniel but do I have to change all the coding and translate it to bricscad version ?!

• That's the whole point of being code compatible, very minimal translations are needed, if any.  You should not have any issues with Lisp routines or VBA projects. ARX and .NET apps just need to reference Bricscad's libraries and compile, using the same code.

Grab the demo and try loading what you have, I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how compatible it is. I know I was : )

You will be happy to know that projects like Doslib and OpenDCL also run on Bricscad, in case your routines use them

• Brilliant, that's the answer thank you for your help Daniel.

PS: The trial version doesn't support vba for now. But I already contact with local office and they said, a pro trial will be sent shortly.

Best regards

• Hi!

There may be some issues, though, with normal commands, if your LISP-programs use (command ...) a lot.

Regards, Stephan

• Hi Berk,

As far as Lisp goes, I can share some really hands-on experiences. We have ported our GeoTools application to Bricscad over 2 years back and only recently, ported another third-party application called PHSCAD into Bricscad. Both are 50000+ lines of Lisp code and use (command...) functions as well as (vlax-.....) and (vla.....) functions quite a bit. In both cases, the level of Lisp compatibility was 100% and the (command...) compatibility is around 99% ++. All this when compared with AutoCAD.

We had to do only minimal changes to the (command....) function syntax to ensure that the Lisp command calling worked well in Bricscad. In most cases, the small changes required is because the command options or sub-options is not relevant / not supported / different in Bricscad.

Your question has a subject "other cad program to bricks" - If you are comparing Bricscad with other CAD alternatives to AutoCAD, the level of compatibility is WAY ahead in Lisp.

Hope this helps.
    Rakesh Rao, Coordinate Systems

http://rakeshrao.typepad.com

This discussion has been closed.