Dwg to Pdf conversion

Hi all,l when i convert a DWG to a pdf the pdf is about 3 times the file size of the DWG. Does any one know how to reduce the size of the pdf ( I have tried zipping but still to big) May just be the way it is. Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Stephen,

You may need to provide more information on this to get some help. There are two ways to generate a PDF from Bricscad.

1. Use the EXPORT command and select the PDF file option.
    2. Install a PDF printer driver and in Bricscad select this printer when printing.

The second way is the most common method of generatong PDFs. A free PDF printer is PDFCreator

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Reasons for differing file sizes:

• PDF printers all work differently and can react differently to objects present on your drawing. You may need to try different PDF printers, or adjust their settings (e.g. use 600 dpi instead of 1200).
    • Drawing content. If your drawing contains things like Images you can expect to see a large PDF as a consequence as the PDF will have to embed the image. Hatch patterns would be another example of this.
    • Drawing Structure. DWG file has no real bearing on PDF file size. For instance you could have a drawing with a number of xrefs, or blocks inserted. This will have only a minor effect on file size, but can have a major effect on the printer file size.

Hope the info above helps. Otherwise post some more detail on how you are generating PDFs and the type of DWG files you are generating them from.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I generate a pdf by printing (Pdf955) I do not know how i would ajust my print resolution though.

cheers

stephen

• Mine all seem to produce fairly lean PDF's, but the resolution comes from (Windows) Printers>PDF995>Properties>General>Printing Preferences>Advanced>Graphic>Print Quality... and it's set to 300dpi, which I think was the default.

This discussion has been closed.