Settings and the Profiles

I fired up Bricscad for the first time tonight, jumped in and started to customize the program using the settings dialog.  Following making my changes, I exported the settings as a .csv file.  I then fired up the user pofile manager created a profile and then exported it as a .arg to save the settings on my computer.  Following a shut down and restart of the application,  my settings did not take effect.  The help file led me nowhere and now I am stuck, I tried to import my .csv file using the User Profile Manager when trying to create a new profile and no go.  What am I missing, it seems as though you can export settings to a csv file but you can't import said file?

Comments

• Hi Scott,

the CSV export from the Settings Manager is for information purposes only. You can't use it to configure or transfer settings with in Bricscad.

You are on the right track using the User Profile Manager, however it works differently than AutoCAD. Key difference is that Bricscad doesn't seem to write setting changes to the registry until you exit the programme. AutoCAD writes as you make each change.

I recommend you work with customising settings in the following way.

1. Run the User Profile Manager from the start menu (Bricscad not running).
    2. Create a new profile.
    3. Make the new profile current.
    4. Start Bricscad.
    5. Under SETTINGS make all the config changes required.
    6. EXIT Bricscad.
    7. Run the User Profile Manager again and export your setting changes.

If you run the User Profile Manager inside Bricscad you will be exporting configuration settings from your previous session, it won't capture changes made in the current session.

You can use the User Profile Manager on other machines to import the profile you have created (.arg file).

You can also configure a shortcut to always run Bricscad with a particular profile by using the /p switch in the command line. e.g.

"C:\Program Files\Bricsys\Bricscad V11\bricscad.exe" /p MyProfileName

more info on profiles can be found at:

http://www.bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_US/V11/UsrGui/index.html

Looks like you may be having trouble with Help as the search feature isn't working. Only finds items on the overview page. Will raise a support request

regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• whoops looks like it is just search of the online help that isn't working. Hopefully this is just a momentary glitch.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Jason, I just took a quick look at the help in V11.3.14. Both the index and search seem to have a problem.

Did you send in a support request?

• Thank you for the replies!  I should note that the first time that I tried this, I attempted to modify the default profile.  Following my modifications exported the now modified default profile as Scott.arg, it then appeared in the list where I set it current, all looked well and I exited.  I am wondering could this be the issue here - the inability to modify the default profile?  It seemed that when I created a personal profile first I could then make my changes.

Aside from starting the program with the command line switches, it looks to me that the profile manager is the beast that should be clicked on to start the program, not the shortcut to the application itself?

Thanks again!

• If you click the desktop shortcut, bricscad starts using the most recently used profiel. Therefore, if you always use the same profile, there is no need to start the User Profile Manager first. If you need different profiles depending on the job or drawing type, the User Profile Manager dialog is the place to launch Bricscad.

• Hi Scott,

I suspect you will find that you exported the profile settings prior to them being saved. You could try this by first exporting all you profiles in the User Profile Manager, then delete all the profiles. This will generate a fresh default profile next time, which you can try the process again with.

Using the default profile is fine, but I prefer to give mine a known name even if it's the only one there. I know then it has been generated by me, not the application. Note you can rename profiles by right clicking on them in the User Profile Manager.

Greg, I did raise a support request and they confirm some issues with the local help file. It's been fixed and will come out with the next update.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Please notice that the 'CREATE' option in the User Profile Manager dialog creates a fresh profile using built-in, hard-coded defaults for all settings.

• Thanks Jason, I will give this a try for the next go around.

• Per Jasons' memo #2 - Question for item number 7.  Run the User Profile Manager again and esport your setting changes. 

By export your setting changes do you mean to create the .cvs that you cannot re-import?

Where should the .cvs be exported to?

Does this mean every time I start up BricsCAD and want to change setting I need to chang the user profile that the program opens up under?

Thank you

jean t

• Jean, the User Profile Manager will export the user profile as a .arg file which is suitable for importing also. A profile does not need to be exported, it is a means of backing up and/or migrating settings to another system. You can create many user profiles if you wish. The settings dialog can create the CSV file which is for information purposes. Once you set a profile active it is the one used until you change the active profile again unless you use a command line option /P to force loading of a specific profile. If you do not do anything with the User Profile Manager then the application will start with a default profile. The changes you make will be stored in this profile and loaded again next time.

Note: Some settings are stored in the user profile while others are stored in the drawing. If you are not certain if a particular setting is an application or drawing setting the settings dialog can be useful. It shows this information for each setting in the lower portion of the dialog.

If there are drawing settings you always want to start with you can set them in on_doc_load.lsp. (see <a href="http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=222">this article</a> and <a href ="https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/15255">this posting</a> for more info)

You can also change the drawing settings in a template drawing (either the default ones or your own) to have drawings start with default settings you want.

Hope this helps a little.

• Hmmm... the links did not work as expected. I guess you can figure them out. I can't keep up with what works and does not work on this forum :-(

The insert link button does not work for me either.

• @Greg An update of the forum functionality and usability is coming by the end of this year.

This discussion has been closed.