Keyboard Shortcuts

As a frequent user of keyboard shortcuts to increase speed of working I feel that Bricscad pays to little regard to this in terms of consistency and completeness of keyboard shortcuts. At the latest Windows release the Attribute Editor seems to have been modified so that pressing Enter in the Value field no longer commits the entry but instead inserts a carriage return. This is counter-intuitive and also means I can see no means of returning (via keyboard shortcut) to the attribute list so that further attribute values can be edited. Pressing Shift-Tab would seem sensible to do this but instead inserts a tab character.

Anyone feel the same way?

Jamie

Comments

• Interesting, I will have to fiddle with this a bit when I get home tonight.  I was using the attribute editor on the newest Windows release lastnight to change the values in a few blocks, but I didn't notice anything, however I was only changing one of many attribues, not cycling through a bunch of them...

• Arrr, you are right. It buggers my attribute counter too. Will you do a SR or shall I?

• Hi guys,

tried it and concur this is a bit of an issue. Bricscad 11.4.2 is injecting a CR/LF (carriage return / line feed) into the attribute field when you press enter. Have raised a support request.

Could look on it as a new feature. Bricscad now has multiline attribute support!! :-)

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• I did wonder about that, but naaaaah.

• While adding support for Fields in attribute values, we had to switch to a more elaborate type of text control to edit attribute values. The new control processes the Enter key in a different way than the former. We have added code to restore the former behavior. If tests run fine, we will post an update in the coming hours.

• Disappointed as I may have been with the regression, I absolutely cannot fault the speed of response. Excellent!

That said, when developers' time allows it might be worth checking some of the keyboard shortcuts for consitency and completeness.

Jamie

• The turnaround on bugs is one of the main reasons that I made the jump, keep up the great work!

• I can indeed see that multi-line is supported in attributes, but the fact that shift+Tab does no longer work, is very annoying for me personnaly because I use that a lot...

I hope this gets solved very soon.

grtz

• @Philip:

in Bricscad V11.4.2, released yesterday, the attribute issues have been fixed.

There is an RSS feed to which you can subscribe to stay informed about new Bricscad releases. See http://www.bricsys.com/rss/rss.jsp?channel=bcad

• Ok, maybe a very late reaction but according to me (I installed V11.4.2 a while ago) the "shift+Tab" function does not work correctly as it should be...

The main purpose for using the Shift+Tab shortcut is to get to the OK-button in as less keyboard-hits as possible after changing a value in the Attribute Editor (AE).
    If you change a value in the AE, you have to press the "Tab" button 9 times before the cursor is on the OK-button.

Before the changes some months ago in the AE (e.g. the multi-line possibilities) you could go in a quick way to the OK-button by pressing 3 times "Shift+Tab".

But if I press "Shift-Tab" after changing a value, the cursor will not leave the value-box.

Even more strange : if you press "Tab" once (to get out of the value-box) and then several times the "Shift+Tab", the cursor will not go to the OK-button.

It seems like the 3 buttons "Apply", "OK" and "Cancel" are not in the cycle when hitting "Shift+Tab"...

This last thing can be tested very easily : press the Tab-button 20 times in a row and see which boxes/buttons are highlighted... and then do the same thing by pressing "Shift+Tab" 20 times...

• @ Philip Dumon: Alt+O (as in OK) works.

• Alt+O is indeed the fastest way to close the Attribute Editor after changing a value...

Even a lot faster compared to hitting "Shift+Tab" 3 times ;-)

Thanks !

This discussion has been closed.