The command window - making it smaller and using the new available space?

While considering the "zillion layout tab" issue I just posted about, I was looking at the command window.  As an AutoCAD user since version 10, I have been used to having it along the bottom of my screen.  As it is now, it stretches along the entire length of my 24" monitor.  Only the first 6" of the command window is useful. I undocked it in an effort to make it narrower so that I might somehow use the space it currently takes up, but that doesn't seem to be ideal either, since I am now covering up part of my drawing.

While the idea of the command window spanning the entire width of the window made sense back when we had 13" VGA monitors, todays very wide monitors have changed the rules.  It seems a waste of monitor space the way it is now.

I have a few tricks that I use to maximize my vertical space now. For example, the Bcad Tools, layer menu is actually put on my title bar.  So, this fills another normally wasted space.

Do any you have other tricks to maximize your drawing area? Is there a way to make the command window narrower?

Joe Dunfee

Comments

• I had a similar problem -- I now dock the Properties window on the right side of the screen (tall and narrow) and the command window is docked under that (same width, but not as tall).  Sometimes it is hard to see all the text in the command window, but it does seem to use the screen more efficiently.  And having the Properties window always open is useful - just pick something and the properties appear for editing.

• That's a good idea!

• Yes, good idea John!  I am trying it out now. 

I was unaware that things like the properties window would allow you to put more than just itself on the side.  For those trying it out for the first time, be aware that my command window went to the top and was very vertically short, so it might confuse some people.

Thank you

Joe Dunfee

• Note that:

SHIFT + F2 will toggle the command line on and off

CTRL + 1 will toggle the property bar on & off

These shortcut keys are listed in the Bricscad for AutoCAD Users eBook. Download for free from:

http://www.bricscad.com/en_NZ/bricscad/documentation.jsp

It has lots of useful info about Bricscad, even if you're not coming from an AutoCAD background

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Have you noticed that when switching off the command bar (Shift+F2),  commands and prompts are displayed on the left part of the Status Bar? You may want to give it a try...

• I have decided that I don't like having the command dock on the far left, under the properties window. I don't want to make it wide enough to show the menu prompts clearly because then the Properties window is taking up too much of the drawing area.

I was unaware that the commands are displayed in the status bar when the command prompt window is hidden.  That may be a good solution.  I will work more with it. 

There is one bug there.  When typing something like @3&lt;45, while the display on the pointer shows 3<45.  It is apparent that either the first or second @ is being misdirected by the program to the incorrect box.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Joe Dunfee

• You can also toggle the display of the command bar by double clicking a blank portion of the status bar.

This discussion has been closed.