Editing multiple Mtext labels

Hi guys,

In V11.2.7 if I select multiple mtext labels and edit them as multiple selection, the same modification is applied to all labels.

In the latest versions of BricsCAD including V12x.x, doing the same thing will only modify the first label and then jumps sequentially to the next label where I have to apply the modification again and so on.

Have someone notice this ? Wouldn't be normal that if I select multiple text labels to apply the same change for all from the start?

Emanuel

Comments

• From BC11 ReleaseNotes.htm:

Version 11.3.9 18/05/2011
    Fixed
    SR20135, SR26517 - MTEXT: when multiple mtexts are selected and the mtext editor is started from the Properties panel, mtexts are edited separately one by one now.

Obviously some users disagree with you or maybe it is a compatibility issue. But of course a lot can be said for both behaviours.
    Supporting both would seem possible. Either by introducing an additional button or something like this:
    Left click on [...] => One by one.
    Ctrl+Left click on [...] => All together.
  • Developers do you think you could implement Roy's suggestions to future release?

It will really be helpfull, it would save one a lot of time when editing a multitude of text labels.

• Yes my V11 does the same. It's a pain, Rarely would I pick multiple mtext entities only to change something different in each one. A bit like picking a line, a circle and a block wanting to change their length, radius and insertion point respectively. With multiple instances of the same mtext I quickly lose track of which I am actually making a change to.
  • I agree with John. Could anybody from BC team answer why one should pick multiple mtext entities and then change it one by one?! When you use multiple selection to change something you do that because you don't want to lose your time changing something one by one.
  • @Nenad: why? Because lots of users claimed they were used to work that way and requested us to modify the behavior.

Obviously there are different opinions, which probably both may make sense, depending on the job at hand.
    We will reinvestigate this matter and see if we can come up with a solution that allows both approaches.
  •  I NEED THIS BACK!
    I have 37,000 mtext entities I need to change the height of. So doing it individually isn't an option
  • You can change the properties of multiple mtexts, you can't bulk edit them in one go.
    I use a lisp called chtext or the internal search and replace for that.
  •  could you share that lsp file. need it desperately

•  I found a copy of the cht.lsp

I used it but I think this must be a bug with the data or Bricscad.

Here's whats happening:

1. Import or copying in multiple MTEXT entities
    2. I double click a MTEXT entity. The size is shown as 1.0mm. All seems fine. make no changes to the text.
    3. I select all mtext entities
    4. in the properties bar, I change the text height to say 5.0mm
    5. Mtext does not change size.
    The only way I can change the mtext heigh using the properties method is if I have opened a mtext entity for editing, selected all text in the mtext box and changed the height in the GUI.

Then afterwards, when I select all the mtext entities again and change the text height (In properties) to say, 9.0mm, only the one MTEXT entity that I changed manually will change in height.

Can anyone help or give me a workaround?
  • SOLVED!!!

... Just reactivated our company's Autodesk Subscription
  • I think your trouble is that the Style the mtexts use has its height set at 1mm.
    If you make the style height 0 then you should be able to change the mtext heights to what you like.
    Or change the mtexts to a style with a zero height.

I would share any of my lisps, but chtext isn't mine so it's probably better to google/download it from one of the sites likely to have permission though I suspect it's ok to share around.

•  No still no good.

Doing the same thing still

Autocad has finished downloading soooo.......

• Here's a sample of the mtext I am importing has the following contents:

611 FTY1877

on two lines.
    HOWEVER...
     In the properties box, the text is displayed as:

\H0.110827;611 FTY1877

That pesky \H... is the cause.
    I Will have to export it from a different source.
  • Oh I forgot about formatting characters. (\h is for height)
    They can be hard to edit out, perhaps you can find a lisp to globally strip them.
  •  I used Strip Mtext and it works great at removing all the formatting. Except the Height.
    I may have to import the MTEXT from another Source.
    Does anyone know of a good Free program that can handle .shp Files?
    I'm using QGIS currently.
  • SR sent and response is to use "UltraEdit" (Ultraedit.com).
    External from bricscad but searches any file for the string and replaces/removes it.
    Works a treat.
  • @ Rowan:
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I assume that to use UltraEdit you have turned the files into ascii DXFs first.

Note: There are two types of height formatting that can occur in mtexts.
    Relative height (ending in 'x'):
    /H2.0x;ABC
    And absolute height:
    /H2.0;ABC

To make Strip Mtext catch both situations all you have to do is:
    Change line 806 from:
    [code](RE:Replace "" "\\\\H[0-9]?[.]?[0-9]+x;" str)[/code]
    To:
    [code](RE:Replace "" "\\\\H[0-9]?[.]?[0-9]+x?;" str)[/code]

• Oops. I was working with the previous version of StripMtext (version 5.0b).
    For version 5.0.c:

Change line 811 from:
    [code](RE:Replace "" "\\\\H[0-9]*?[.]?[0-9]*?(x|X)+;" str)[/code]
    To:
    [code](RE:Replace "" "\\\\H[0-9]*?[.]?[0-9]*?[Xx]?;" str)[/code]

• Amazing! Thank you so much.

My boss says:
    "What a legend!"
  •  Also, the second change (The one for ver 5.0c) is the one I used, even though I have ver 5.0b. The 5.0b line didn't work.
  • The code in post #20 is indeed better.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!