Bricscad (Linux) V12.1.14 BETA

Hello All,

Bricscad (Linux) V12.1.14 BETA is available since Tuesday.
To download, use the usual Bricscad (Linux) BETA download link.

If you do not have BETA access, you can ask for it in a support request.

We are still working on hardware-accelerated realistic rendering with RedSDK, so it is not yet available in Bricscad (Linux) V12.1.14 BETA.

A small remark about installation on 64 bit systems:

Currently we only make a 32 bit version of Bricscad (Linux).
But the 32 bit Bricscad (Linux) can run on 64 bit linux systems as well.

We have only one deb installer.
This installer used to work both on 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu.
The "Architecture" field of our deb installer used to be set to "all", allowing installation on 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu.
Unfortunately Ubuntu started to become more picky about the "Architecture" field.
Ubuntu no longer allows "all" for installers that contain binaries.
So we were forced to use "i386" instead.
As a result the force architecture flag is needed to install on 64 bit Ubuntu, like this:

dpkg --force-architecture -i Bricscad-V12.1.14-1-en_US.deb

To resolve this inconvenience, we will have to introduce separate installers.  I had hoped to postpone that until we do have an actual 64 bit version, but as a pro, the download infrastructure will be ready for 64 bit then.

Kind Regards
Tijs

Comments

• Ubuntu 11.10 and newer versions have multiarch support.

A 32bit package must be easily installable on a 64bit Ubuntu system.

However the control file of the .deb must follow the new standards in order to avoid a dependency hell.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

So you don't need to have separate installers.

• Hello,

I don't know if I would call it dependecy hell but when I install the new beta with --force-architecture the installer complains about a missing libglew1.5. This packages is installed (that's probably why bricsys can be started and used), but of course the 64bit version and not the required 32bit version. In this state apt-get is unable to do anything else than uninstalling again bricsysv12 (apt-get install -f).

By the way, I am wondering if bricscad (linux) can take advantage of a professional video card like the NVIDIA Quadro series or is a high-end gaming card like the NVIDIA GTX 5 as good. I read that the difference is mainly the driver of the card and that the professional drivers are especially written to support for example AutoCAD. But do they also support Bricscad and especially Linux?

Regards, Albin

• Hello,

I'm from Indonesia. Please also include SuSE / SLED 11 RPM.
    Thanks

Agus
This discussion has been closed.