Snapping to dim lines.

I am very frustrated with the fact that one can snap to dimension lines. Would it be possible to make it go away by implementing a toggle. I use an offset from origin of 1-2mm on my house plans that are printed in 1:50. I constantly get dims that have snapped to the dim lines that are a few mm´s away an I dont see it until I zoom in real close. If it a hor/vert dim I usually notice it as being an odd number but if its i diagonal dim NO WAY, I have to zoom like crazy to check all points.AM I THE ONLY ONE FINDING THIS ANNOYING???Another beautiful solution that I have asked for before would be to let the flyover snap also HIGHLIGHT the item it has snapped to.Then we would have a killer snap.

Comments

• Something I have noticed (much to my anoiance) is that, unlike AutoCAD, in Intellicad when a layer is locked you cannot select any of the entities for any purpose incouding extending to them or using them to trim other entities in other layers. You also cannot use any snap point in them to draw a line from or mirror stuff in a non-frozen layer. You see them but they are otherwise not there. This is not like ACAD but I can see it is just another philosophy and, although I find it less useful then the way ACAD handles frozen layers, It might be of use to you as a work around until that day that your good ideas are used. You need to put the stuff you dont want to pick on another layer and freeze it (or turn it off). Its a pain I know but it might beat the zoom ins and outs.Jef

• I agree that being unable to reference to locked layers may sometimes be irritating.My problem can not be solved by this as I cant work in the locked layer.As I am dimesioning in one layer somtimes the dimlines run on top of a line as I place them.When I later pick the line with endpoint snap to make a different dim I might snap to the dimline endpoint wich is app 2mm´s away but still on the line. Visually on the screen it looks OK.I still get dim´s that slip throug every week, even though I try to check.If you use the base offset on dim´s you will get these snapping problems all the time.

• Dont know if this would help but a trick I use is to set the precision 2 places higher then I need. When I dimension something I should get a normal number like 2.5000. If I get 2.5025 I know something is not right. This has helped esp. when cad shows the snap flyover symbol but does not actually take it (a problem more common in the last rev). The big downside is that you have to manually type in the text you want (2.50 or 2 1/2 or what ever). The best thing, of course, is something like the original suggestion of an improved snap display. But that is up to Intellicad.Jef

• snap to locked layers is in 2.2.0027. Snap to point is useful with dimensions, and can avoid zooming in some cases. Endpoint indeed risks snapping to an irrelevant point. The TAB option to cycle through snaps and highlighted entities is useful indeed and will be implemented.The issue of snapping to dimensions is known. We haven't thought about a good approach yet.regards, sander

• THANK YOU FOR THAT.I am of course speaking about extensionlines and offset from origin and not baseline offset.( Baseline offsets has never worked in vertical dims since IC98 by the way.)Sounds like we are looking forward to 0027.The TAB option is already implemented, for those who didnt know, and is good.It would be vastly improved by a highlight.I just thougt of another little improvment that I think could propably be easily implemented and that would be layermapping in the dimstyles. If you use a certain style it would automaticly place all dims in a specified layer.If the layer is not there creat it.Thank you for your time.

• The snapping problem is inherent in INTELLICAD. But doesn't happen if you TYPE the snap comand and/or element in the keyboard. For instance "LINE" from "INT" to "ENDP". I have experienced terrible problems using the "Snaps" from the screen. It also works well from the Tablet when you redefine the tablet itself.

• little improvment that I think could propably be easily implemented and that would be layermapping in the dimstyles. If you use a certain style it would automaticly place all dims in a specified layer.I would not like to force such behaviour on anyone. But it could be implemented in lisp fairly easily , suppose you have a function that1. Caches the name of current layer ,2. retrieves current dimstyle , and sets associated layer active, using a mapping function(eg store a map in an assoc list). 3. starts dimlinear4. resets previous layer.then you can use this function to redefine dimlinear, or use it in a duplicated dimensioning toolbaryou can also consider creating a filter to change the layer of some dimensions afterwardsregards, sander

• Of course thit could be done by lisp.I just thought it would be better if it was nativ.An On/Off toggle would prevent forcing someone to use it.Eduardo have you tried Shift+RightMouse for snaps. I dont have much problems with the functionality of the snaps . Its more of a display problem.

• Patrick: I will try your hint for better snapping. Tkanks

This discussion has been closed.