3d polylines vs. 2d polylines with elevations

This maybe a dumb question, but I have a contour dataset (pretty large, 30mb) that is a 2d polyline with elevation data. How can I convert to 3d polylines and can I do this quickly?

I do have the geotools and toolpac addons, but maybe some one could post up a tip or two?

Thanks

Comments

• I have to question why you would want to do that.  If the contours are LwPolys with an elevation they are as data efficient as they can be.  If you convert them to 3dPolys your drawing will only grow in size.  If all vertices of a polyline are to contain the same elevation, a LwPoly is best.  Only if the elevations of the polyline need to vary would you consider a 3dPoly.

That said, ToolPac (which you say you have) has a 2D to 3D conversion tool that will convert them all.  Also, ToolPac 14.0 for Bricscad V12 Pro Windows is now available!
  • Hey Terry,

What about breaklines? I don't know a lot about bricscad (I'm a converted AutoCAD guy) but if I were to start building a site that contained roadway, curb/gutter, sidewalk, as well as pads/lots, etc., I'm wondering how easy/hard to get surfaces in order to do cut/fill calcs. In civil3d, it's a pretty straightforward process, but here I'm trying to feel my way through.

Thanks for the info.

• Hi Randy,

I agree with Terry. You would not want a 3d poly to represent a contour, a 2d poly with elevation is better, but if you really want to convert it to 3d poly, even GeoTools that you have does the job (GT_CH2D3D) , just like ToolPac.

Regards
    Rakesh Rao
    www.coordsys.com
  • What about breaklines? I don't know a lot about bricscad (I'm a converted AutoCAD guy) but if I were to start building a site that contained roadway, curb/gutter, sidewalk, as well as pads/lots, etc., I'm wondering how easy/hard to get surfaces in order to do cut/fill calcs.

Breaklines are of course 3dPolys as they cross contours.  We're nearing completion of MapWorks for Bricscad V12 Pro Windows which has surface modeling, support for breaklines, contours, volumes and much more.  Perhaps (since you are an existing user) you would like to work with us on it.  Drop me an email at dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com and I'll explain further.
This discussion has been closed.