Program locks up in file open dialog

I am a trial user having a problem with opening drawings.  When I try to open a drawing using the dialog box the program locks up.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Sometimes double clicking on a file in the dialogue (for me, in V11) opens it very slowly or not at all, clicking on Open always works.

If that isn't the issue, you could try File>Drawing Utilities>Recover, although less likely every file contains errors.

I have had in the past, a mistake in the old startup.lsp (caused by changes in lisp functions) which prevented even the program loading. Perhaps there is something in the on_doc_load.lsp causing a problem?

• Hi Doug,

Would try the following:
    1. Instead of opening the drawing try using _RECOVER to recover the drawing file(s) your trying to open, this will check and attempt to fix any issues found. Either type in on the command line, or pick from the menu bar File -> Drawing Utilities -> Recover.
    2. Try creating a new drawing using one of the default templates provided with Bricscad, such as Default-mm. Save this new dwg disk, close, then re-open using _OPEN. If this works ok, then it points to an issue with the file(s) you are trying to open. If this doesn't work, check that you have the necessary access rights to your local machine. Bricscad uses the windows temp folder location for your roaming profile by default. You can locate this folder by typing %TEMP% in to the folder name area of windows explorer. You should be able to create and delete files in this folder location
    3. Check you have appropriate access. If the file(s) you are trying to open are on a network drive, you could be hitting issues with user rights. Try copying to a local folder and the opening.
    Otherwise raise a support request. This will allow you to trial Bricsys ability to provide you with support!

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• The first thing to find out is indeed whether it's a problem with the drawings or the program. Please make sure you can dismiss the drawings(try it with saving a new drawing and reopening that one).

Then the next step is to disable drawing preview to make sure you can exclude that as a possible cause it. And in very rare cases our customized filedialog has been known to fail. You can switch to the standard dialog by going to the settings dialog and switching on "UseStandardOpenFileDialog" .

Whatever the outcome, it's worthwile to file a supportrequest.
  • Is Bricscad your  default dwg program?
    If so double click on the file will (should) open it directly, or a right click and open with and chose Bricscad.

That doesn't solve your problem but it may determine whether the dwg is crook.
    Not discounting other suggestions, just something else to play with.
    regards
  • If I open the drawing by double clicking on the drawing file name in my computer the program functions perfectly.  It is only the open dialog box so far.  Apparently others have had trouble with save as dialog as well.  In the open dialog box I don't even get to the point of selecting a file.  As soon as I get into a folder with .dwg files in it the screen locks up and I have to shut the program down.

By the way.  Thank you for your replies.

Doug
  • Hi Doug,

Does sound more like a program issue than drawing.

Did you try Alexanders advise? You can turn off drawing preview by either un-ticking the option in the file open dialogue, or via the SETTINGS command. Search for "PreviewWndInOpenDlg" and remove the tick from the check box. You will find "UseStandardOpenFileDialog" located in the same place.

Another option is to turn of dialogues for opening files. You can do this by turning "Filedia" off. search for File dialog to find in SETTINGS. After you change this you will find that you will be prompted for a file name from the command line rather than from a dialogue. This should rule out dwg issues if you can open a drawing this way.

I would also try starting Bricscad with a new profile. Maybe your profile has been corrupted in some way, or you have accidentally changed something without realising. Have some information here on how to do this.

You could also try completely removing and re-installing Bricscad to see whether this resolves things. Otherwise I would raise a support request, particularly if others are experiencing similar issues.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Hi Jason

Thank you for the reply.  I tried everything but reinstalling the program.  Turning the filedia system variable worked but is unworkable because of the paths that I have.   Have a great weekend.
  • I am experiencing the same issues, have not been able to resolve it.  Any word on a program fix...
  • If gthere is AutoCAD co-installed on same machine, then the locking mikght be caused by some AcSign*.dll/exe files, installed by AutoCAD installer.
    Please see KnowledgeBase, there is a good entry explaining the problem, and how to resolve (that is easy + harmless).

In short, Acad installer installes some additional DLL files into Windows' system folder, providing some extra functionality to Windows Explorer - and those DLL files cause serious problems, depending on the particular machine.

KnowledgeBase entry :
    http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=315
  •  Having the same issue. 

Not only with the open command but also with "Save As", and when Attaching external references. The dialog box doesn't appear on screen and I get that annoying error sound, indicating that I am clicking an area outside of the dialog box. The only way to continue on is to click "Esc," but this doesn't resolve the initial problem. 

Very frustrating!!!!!!
  •  I should mention I dock to monitor at work an have to change display settings. It is almost as if the dialog box is outside of the current view. But I have restarted and changed display setting and still no fix. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time!!!
  • Rich,
    this is a completely different issue, discussed e.g. here.
    Maybe Bricscad should rather remember window positions as a relative (%) value...
  • I have noticed that when I unload Autocad from my computer the problem disappears.

Doug
  • @Doug : please see my note above ... there is a known problem (caused by AutoCAD files),
    but easily to be fixed; KnowledgeBase entry fully + clearly describes the problem, and how to
    overcome, even without uninstalling AutoCAD.

Many greetings :-)
  • Torston

Thank you very much.  Worked like a charm.    Happy Holidays!

Doug
This discussion has been closed.