BricsCAD 12 on Fedora 16-64bit

After installing according to this: http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=305

And obtaining a further dependency of libfontconfig.so.1 by using the following root console command:[code]yum provides libfontconfig.so.1[/code]I'm still finding unfound libraries. E.g. running the following:[code]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./bricscad
./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libfreetype.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ whereis libfreetype.so.6
libfreetype.so: /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6[/code]But wait, there's more:[code]$ ldd bricscad
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf77ce000)
        libutils.so => not found
        libdcl.so => not found
        libgeometry.so => not found
        libodapp.so => not found
        libcadapp.so => not found
        libcmdapi.so => not found
        libcommands.so => not found
        libwxgui.so => not found
        libflyoversnap.so => not found
        libwx_baseu-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_baseu_xml-2.8.so => not found
        libwx_baseu_net-2.8.so => not found
        libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xf7788000)
        libzlib.so => not found
        libexpat.so.1 => /lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xf775e000)
        libTD_Alloc.so => not found
        libTD_Root.so => not found
        libTD_Ge.so => not found
        libTD_Gi.so => not found
        libTD_Db.so => not found
        libTD_Br.so => not found
        libTD_Gs.so => not found
        libTD_DbRoot.so => not found
        libTD_SpatialIndex.so => not found
        libTD_DynBlocks.so => not found
        libBrxGeo.so => not found
        libxerces-c-3.0.so => not found
        libicudata.so.38 => not found
        libicuuc.so.38 => not found
        libpc3_ed.so => not found
        libpstyle_ed.so => not found
        libbcadtest.so => not found
        libprofilemanager.so => not found
        libSpaACIS.so => not found
        libSpaPhlV5.so => not found
        libDbConstraints.so => not found
        libImagine.so => not found
        libREDCore.so => not found
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xf76d1000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf75e5000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf75b9000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf759c000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf73ee000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf73d3000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf729a000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xf7287000)
        libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXdamage.so.1 (0xf7283000)
        libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xf727e000)
        libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xf7279000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0xf726c000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf7267000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf77cf000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xf7248000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xf723e000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xf723b000)
[/code]And when I try to figure out where to get these, I find they're actually part of BC itself:[code]$ yum provides libutils.so
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
bricscadv12-12.1.23-1.i386 : Bricscad is the number one DWG CAD alternative offering a complete and recognizable feature set to
                           : professional users. Bricscad reads and writes the DWG format and offers high compatibility with AutoCAD®
Repo        : @/Bricscad-V12.1.23-1-en_US
Matched from:
Other       : libutils.so[/code]Most of the other also point to BC's install. So I tried uninstalling BC, not possible through the Add/Remove Software program, since it's not listed there (seeing as the install fails if you install it through the default Apper Installer - you need to simply right-click on the RPM and choose Software Install).

Anyhow, then I went back to a root console and tried the following:[code]# rpm -qa | grep -i bric
bricscadv12-12.1.23-1.i386
# rpm -e bricscadv12-12.1.23-1.i386
error: Failed dependencies:
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) fontconfig-2.8.0-4.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) libXft-2.2.0-2.fc15.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) cairo-1.10.2-4.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) pango-1.29.4-1.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) gtk2-2.24.8-3.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) qt-x11-1:4.8.1-5.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) qt3-3.3.8b-37.fc16.i686
        libfreetype.so.6 is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-graphics-4.0-7.1.fc16.i686[/code]So it fails to uninstall either - seeing as some of the font types are used in other programs as well.

So then I tried another idea:[code]# rpm -i --replacepkgs --replacefiles Bricscad-V12.1.23-1-en_US.rpm[/code]This runs without any message. And yet the same old problem is still occurring:[code]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./bricscad
./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libfreetype.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ whereis libfreetype.so.6
libfreetype.so: /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6[/code]Please, someone give me some idea of what else I could possibly try.

Comments

• I'm sticking to 32bit for the moment, so I'm probably not the most qualified to answer, but:
    The knowledge topic you mention states that a 32bit version of freetype is needed, while you seem to have only the 64bit version installed.
  • I've played around yet some more. Reinstalled using yum instead, seems to get somewhere now. I.e. it seems you need to install the dependencies first, then install BC. But it's not possible to find the dependencies before you've installed BC.

Anyhow, now BC gets as far as the Create new Draing dialog. But trying any of the options: Start from scratch / Template / Open etc. simply closes BC.
  • This is as far as it seems to be going.

And doing a console run with the LD_LIBRARY ting yields:[code](bricscad:8813): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    [/code]Those packages do seem to form part of the i686 arc, not the x86_64.

I'm sorry to say, but running a CAD in 32bit is simply not on for me. Most of my 3D drawings cause more than 2GB of RAM use, so even in Windows I can only use 64bit for ACad otherwise it simply crashes with out of RAM errors. Even opening 3 or 4 2D drawings in WinXP 32 with ACad 2008 causes those crashes, never mind any newer ACads. So I'm not even trying BC if it can only run in 32bit mode.

bc.webm

• Bricscad runs on 64-bit distributions, one just has to figure out how to create a mini 32-bit environment around it that works. Essentially you have to install 32-bit versions of all the libs it needs, in a way it can find them. And this process varies for different distributions. I don't know enough about Fedora to give you advice about how to install 32-bit libs.

I think you are probably missing some more-or-less important libs and that's why you are experiencing an immediate shutdown.

For missing theme engine "clearlooks" you may need to install some Gnome theme packages.

"pkcs11" is a cryptogrophay thing. Maybe you could try installing the 32-bit version of a package named something like "gnome-keyring".

Lastly, if you want to get more information about what exactly is happening that causes the crash, follow the instructions in this thread:

http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/14080
  • Alrighty then. Fedora's yum command simply refuses to install the i686 package if the x86_64 one is already installed. The only way it seems is to download the rpm manually and then install it through yum/rpm ... I really do want this to work, so I downloaded the rpm's the hard way 9i.e. the way Winblows users usually do it): googling for them :X

Anyhow, it seems the nicest place to search for them manually is here at rpmfind. E.g. here's the search for the clearlooks package: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=clearlooks&submit=Search+...&system=fedora&arch=i686

The "extra" packages took me a while, but basically you copy-n-paste the notes from that terminal start of BC and search for them all. Sometimes you can simply use yum to install the downloaded RPM and it will then download its dependencies, but other times it refuses and you're stuck with rpm. In which case you need to copy-n-paste the needed package names and search for them as well, then try rpm with all those packages in one command line.

So now it seems I've got them all:[code]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./bricscad
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)[/code]Unfortunately BC is still bombing out at the same point. Here's the crash dump, and the logs. What else can I do?

dso_list.txtmaps.txtvar_log_messages.txtenviron.txt

imageScreenshot at 2012-06-05 09:38:19.png
  • I don't really have the answer, or know super much about Fedora. I think this is unusual:

Fedora's yum command simply refuses to install the i686 package if the x86_64 one is already installed.

As far as I can tell, the solution for installing 32-bit libs on Fedora is to do "yum install libfoo.i686" until you have them all. Fedora seems to have a solid bi-arch solution in place, so any existing 32-bit lib should be installable this way. And they should all work together if installed this way. People discuss this process in this thread, for example:

http://beginlinux.com/blog/2009/09/installing-32-bit-support-into-64-bit-fedora-11/

If you google them, download them, then google all the dependencies, and download those, you are essentially working behind the back of your package manager. The package manager is supposed to keep all different versions compatible.

So the example of clearlooks GTK engine should look like "yum install gtk2-engines.i686". You probably tried that, and it didn't work. That could be part of the puzzle. Is your package manager up-to-date? Is your system fully upgraded?

All of your seg faults seem to happen in libwx_gtk2u_core. I know that Bricscad provides that lib, but it probably has to interface with other GTK2 libs on your system. Perhaps there is a version mismatch from what Bricscad expects. Did you ever do "rpm -qpR Bricscad-V12blah.rpm" to find out what versions of all the libs Bricscad is expecting?

You can use still use gdb to get a backtrace as described in this thread I linked to earlier. This would tell you exactly which lib is causing the problem, and what it was trying to do.

• I went into opt/bricsys/bricscad/v12 then opened the terminal from that directory and   sudo yum install libpng12.so.0  which was my missing library
  • Yep, that was also one of the missing libraries I had to install. The problem was that most of the "missing" libraries were already installed (only they had their 64 bit versions installed). So installing the 32bit versions were a pain and extremely time consuming. Even searches caused me to have to google for them, since the libraries would get updated and renamed / renumbered between FC13-14-15-16. So if I found a missing library, I had to go seach for the version which works on FC16 only to find that it's been discontinued and replaced by something else - then force install the old version.

I've since installed FC17.i686 (on a 2nd HDD - dual booting through BIOS for now), but due to the PC having 16GB RAM it installed the PAE version ... and still BC is not opening properly (I think because the PAE version - which installs if RAM>4GB - uses yet other versions of some libraries). I suppose I'll need to go through the whole hunting for missing libraries again.
  • I have same problem. On mageia 2 64bit. On mageia 1 64bit everithing is OK.

When I start program bricscad11 and 12. everything is work except this bug

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I now but my urpmi  (package manager)  telling my. "I donˇt may install same 32bit version of package." I mean is it not problem.

Problem is when I selecting line function in bricscad and starting drawing. Program is falling with console message "Segmentation fault"

• New messages when I using few minutes bricscad.

(bricscad:5266): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_queue_draw: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    Segmentation fault
  • I've been using Bricscad on my 64bit machine since fedora-14.  The dependency list has reduced remarkably between F15 and F17.  Most errors are as a result of the switch to Gnome3 Desktop Environment.   It seems Bricscad developers still use libraries associated with Gnome2, eg. Packagekit-gtk-module.i686.  So far, after installing Bricscad via yum command, I only need to install the following to get Bricscad fully functional:
    1. fontconfig.i686
    2. cups-libs.i686
    3. gtk2.i686
    4. mesa-libGLU.i686
    5. libuuid.i686
    6. libSM.i686
    7. libcanberra-gtk2.i686
    8. gtk2-engines.i686
    You will be left with only one error message:
    [code]Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"[/code]

installing Packagekit-gtk-module.i686 usually removes that error but not any more.  The package no longer exists in Fedora repositories
  • [code]p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory[/code]

Okay .... I decided to install the latest Bricscad version 12 for Linux.  We do have a problem.  I get the same errors when I kit the 'settings' icon/button.  Bricscad simply crashes and leaves a backtrace.  I think this is an ugly bug.  I'm filing a report ... my goodness, and I need to use the application this morning.  It would be nice if Irné Barnard can say the exact package he installed.
  • I still don't get it working. I've installed each and every package listed in those dependency failures and the dump when starting BC from the CLI. It's a whole lot more than just the one single library.

I literally had to try and first install each package listed as not installed or causing an error using yum, if that failed then do a google search (or as noted previously search on rpmfind). Then download the i686 version (closest matching the FC16/17 I've got installed - sometimes there would only be a version available for an older FC, sometimes it would actually be so old as to use the old i386 designation instead of i686). Then run yum or rpm to force install the downloaded package. Sometimes these RPM's would then have dependencies of their own, which sometimes gets downloaded automatically through yum, or sometimes you need to again search for those and install through rpm. It becomes a factorial iteration to get one program BC installed. I've already spent 10 days (around 12 hours each day) trying to install BC on FC16-x86-64 (working mostly over weekends since I do have a day-job) :)

Now I've already spent another 30-40 hours trying the same on FC17-i686, and still running into the exact same issues.
  • If by package, you mean which version of BC. Then it was Bricscad-V12.1.23-1-en_US.rpm
  • Another point which might help: When I installed FC16_x86-64 (as well as when I installed FC17_i686) I chose the option to also install the KDE desktop. Since I don't like the Gnome3 (yet). I think it's still too new and unpolished (same reason I don't like Ubuntu's Unity yet) - they both are trying to become an OSX inspired desktop, but failing since they don't have a long enough history of feature requests and bug lists. Perhaps one day I'd be willing to use it as my production desktop.

The KDE (IMO) is a lot more comprehensive, customizable, robust, intuitive, feature rich, etc. Not to mention, it's a lot less alien for anyone coming from a Windows background.

Though I still tried installing BC under both desktops (since I do have G3 as an option in the login screen). Could it be that KDE is messing with some libraries, making it impossible to install the old-discontinued versions?
  • Irné Barnard: Could it be that KDE is messing with some libraries, making it impossible to install the old-discontinued versions?

Not at all.  There will always be people who prefer one DE or the other.  Mine is Gnome and I have been with it since Gnome2.  KDE reminds me too much of Windows.  I think this error was introduced by Fedora packagers because there is a /usr/lib64/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so on my 64bit system.  Therefore, there should be one for the 32bit version.  It is simply not there ... I see a bug report that takes this position here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=823297

I have tried extracting the required file into the expected path ... still getting a 'segmentation fault'

•  Bricscad-V12.2.13-1-en_US.rpm runs almost fine on Fedora 17 x86-64. Bricscad-V12.2.15-1-en_US.rpm crashes on Settings window.
  •  Bricscad-V12.2.15-1-en_US.deb  in Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" 32 bit also crashes on Settings window.
  • fedora 18 x86_64 here, had to install a bunch of 32bit stuff to get rid of complains in terminal

[code]libcanberra-gtk2-0.30-2.fc18.i686
    mesa-dri-drivers-9.1-3.fc18.i686
    llvm-libs-3.2-2.fc18.i686
    mesa-dri-filesystem-9.1-3.fc18.i686
    libtdb-1.2.11-1.fc18.i686
    libcanberra-gtk3-0.30-2.fc18.i686
    libcanberra-0.30-2.fc18.i686
    gstreamer1-1.0.5-1.fc18.i686
    PackageKit-gtk3-module-0.8.7-1.fc18.i686
    PackageKit-glib-0.8.7-1.fc18.i686
    libarchive-3.0.4-3.fc18.i686
    gtk-murrine-engine-0.98.2-2.fc18.i686[/code]

Still bricscad is looking for /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so for some reason and a 32bit version is no longer available in fedora repos.

• on the other hand bricscad refuses to do 3D hardware acceleration on my Intel HD graphics card for some reason and the software rendering in 3D makes me cry, so I consider it a wasted efforts so far. 3D was the reason I wanted to use it in the first place.
  • @oleksandr:

This thread is about BricsCAD (Linux) V12. The problems you posted yesterday, is it indeed in V12 that you experience them?
    Mind that some important improvements of V13 over V12 are exactly about installation on 64 bit and wider support for 3D acceleration of rendered modes.

If these problems persist in V13, please enter a support request.

Kind Regards
    Tijs Vermeulen
  • ...Intel HD graphics card...
    As Tijs has mentioned, that's a different issue from this thread.

But just to be clear, an Intel HD card is not actually very good at 3D, even on Winblows these cards are near useless for 3D work (I've actually seen better performance through software CPU graphics in some cases). E.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356443-33-which-powerful-nvidia-geforce-radeon-intel-3000

I'd recommend an absolute minimum of a GeForce / Radeon with its own discrete RAM (not shared from the PC's RAM like the Intel), 1GB minimum. Best choice would be a Quadro / FireGL with at least 2GB discrete RAM, if you can afford them.
  • @oleksandr:

This thread is about BricsCAD (Linux) V12. The problems you posted yesterday, is it indeed in V12 that you experience them?

nope, this is v13 I'm just trying right now. The brickscad hung on me at the first start, with a bed-sheet of complains about the missing files in terminal. I have hunted down all of those packages  in fedora's repositories (except one gnome-keyring*i686) and  and made it work, therefore I'm not sure it is worth submitting an RFS. On the other hand, I really expected and if I install the package with [code]yum localinstall ./bricscad*.rpm[/code] it would pull all the dependencies automatically. 

in any case, you are right, I should have payed attention to the subject, this is not a place for this kind of discussion.  
  • As Tijs has mentioned, that's a different issue from this thread.

But just to be clear, an Intel HD card is not actually very good at 3D

yes, this is a well known fact. It is just that in software rendering mode the 3D regime in bricscad looks like slideshow on my laptop with core i5, so I was hoping hardware rendering would smooth things out a bit. They don't give you too much choice in terms of video adapters for thinkpad x-series, unfortunately.  I'm trying to make it work on my desktop with nvidia G92 card under F16 but so far bricscad only segfaults on me shortly after start. I'm going to submit RFS on that.
This discussion has been closed.