Converting 3d-Solids to Polyfacemesh

Hello,

is there a way to directly convert solids into polyfacemeshes?

Saving the dwg as R10-dxf does this conversion, but I would prefer a way to do it directly in the dwg. Also the solid sometimes is splitted into thousands of faces, i don't need this high precision and it's slowing down everything. Is there a way to do it less precise?

Best regards.

Comments

• Hi Sebastian,

You may be able to make use of _COPYCLIP _PASTECLIP to do your conversion for you. You can declare what .dwg version you want to used under _SETTINGS. And if you you know some lisp, This post on MultiLeaders (still not supported in V13 sigh....) discusses using this technique along with some Lisp routines.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

•  Hi Sebastian,

I do not know of a way to do this in BricsCAD. I hope it is OK to mention another program here: you may want to look at rhino3d.com. You can DL a demo that is limited in only one way: 25 saves, exports, or prints. Rhino allows quite a bit of control over the creation of meshes on solids. It has a large number of export options.

(It's off your topic (sorry) but incidentally for me Rhino and BricsCAD complement each other nicely. The improvements in BricsCAD recently are truly impressive. I have the option to use A-CAD Mech (latest version) at work. I prefer BricsCAD: it's fast, efficient, and fun to use.)

-Phil
  • Hi Sebastian,

Attach a LISP routine that will generate wireframe surfaces from selected 3D solids using the method from my previous post. Note it doesn't delete the existing 3D solid, and the surfaces are pasted back inside a block.

Couldn't find any settings that would change the number of faces generated. Maybe someone else knows how this might be done. However as the objects are pasted back in a block, they are at least kept together.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

Solid2Surface.lsp

• Hello all,

to my knowledge, there is no way to control mesh generation in releases up to V11 (the FACETRES variable has no effect).

In V12, however, you have a variety of choices - very similar to what you might know from Rhino. These settings can be found under settings/progam options/modeler properties, and should allow you to fine tune the mesh as needed (I did not thoroughly test, though). On top of that, the FACETRES varaiable is now functional (it is left to folks from Bricsys to elaborate how these different ways of setting the density will interact, I wasn't able to figure out).

This may not be as convenient as in rhino (where you get instant feedback when changing the settings), but the generated meshes are normally (especially for surfaces that are curved only in one direction) much more usable than those produced by rhino.
  •  Thank you Mr. Hohenberg  While Rhino is way out of my personal budget, at $1,000, I will look very closely at the other ideas. 

-joe
  •  Thank you Mr. Hohenberg  While Rhino is way out of my personal budget, at $1,000, I will look very closely at the other ideas. 

-joe

I do this by typing 3DCONVERT....?
This discussion has been closed.