2D entering 3D world for the first time. How do you get orthogonal projections for a 2D drawing?

First time working in 3D.  I opened one of my old 2D drawing templates.   I moved to model space, and selected "3D context".  That put a grid array on my screen tilted at an angle, presumably to create a isometric view of a 3D solid.  

I drew a simple slab on the grid.  And managed to get radiused edges on it.   (I didn't get the same corner blend on all four corners, and that will be a separate posting.)  Anyway, now I would like to dimension the block, and generate 2D orthogonal projections  for my paperspace layout.    Normally when working with Autocad LT, I dimension the orthogonal views in model space, and "view them" through a window in paper space.   But I don't know how to make the 2D projections.  I am getting lost in the 3d world of axes!  Very confusing.  There must be a way to automatically generate the orthogonal views.  And do I still dimension in model space?  

Maybe I should be dimensioning the 3D object itself, and forget about the 2D.  

Comments

• Once you've created your 3D ACIS solid object(s), use the QuickDraw tool (Model | X-Solids | Tools) to create a "flat" set of 2D views.

I generally do all of the dimensioning/call-outs/etc. in paperspace.

• Ok, thanks.  But  I don't understand some things.   When started this,  I opened my old 2D drawing template, and clicked on  the 3D CONTEXT toolbutton.  That put a tilted/ inclined grid / plane in model space.  I created my basic "slab on this.   I opened QUICKDRAW, and it was already defaulted to make a the third angle orthogonal projections I am accustomed to, and in use in the states.  (I find first angle projection as used in Europe, very confusing.)    Anyway, QUICKDRAW created the projections I want, but they are aligned with the inclined, rotated plane I built the 3D model on .   I want to orient the projections  in the manner normally used for 2D drawings, while retaining the 3D slab in its current orientation (which looks like an rendered isometric view).  How do I do that?  I tried the LOOK FROM tools.  I was able to get the orthogonal projections oriented on the screen, but it also rotated the  3D block.   And how do I get back to the view that 3D CONTEXT created?   None of the LOOK FROM tools took me back to that view?  

On the dimensioning.  I have never dimensioned objects from paperspace.  How do you do even do that, when the objects are sitting in model space?  You can open up a viewport in paperspace, and dimension the objects, but you are still working in model space.  
  • I'm not entirely sure that I can visualize what you're describing but here's one thing to look at (no pun intended (as if)). Note that the QuickDraw dialog allows you to select whether to create the views based on the WCS, a UCS, or a "current view." The views are always drawn in the WCS XY plane even if they "start from" another, possibly oblique, view. A UCS can be aligned to an object face, or to a rotated ("moused") view, or if one is so inclined (no pun int.. (never mind)), it may be defined numerically. So I'm pretty sure what you want to do, can be done. I'm just not sure what it is you're trying to do.

WRT dimensioning in paperspace. There is a viewport on the "paper" there but over "top" of that goes the drawing frame, dimensioning, call-outs, etc. One may still, e.g., snap to a line midpoint in the viewport but all of the stuff associated with paperspace stays on that layout tab. Go back to the model-space tab and it's still clean, without all of the extra stuff floating around it.

Some like paperspace, some hate it. There are lots of ways to get the job done.
  • Sorry to bother you again... I had to resume other work, and am now just getting back to my 3D training.  I made another 3D block, and used Quickdraw to generate the views I want to include in the 2D projection.  I was even able to dimension some of the features.   The problem is, the 2D projections are still aligned on an inclined plane, just like the 3D object.  There seems to be no way to dimension the holes like this.  I can use the "Look From" commands to view the projections the way I want, but it doesn't change the view from paper space.  And I don't want to rotate the 3D object with the quickdraw views.

I've attached a screen shot of what I have right now.
    imagescreenshot.jpg
  • Hi Jim,

per Richard's post I would investigate using Paperspace to control the layout of your drawing and for annotation. Attach some screen grabs to illustrate. Paper space, or layouts are best thought of as presentation space. It is where you put your drawing together as opposed to model space, which is strictly for the model. This type of approach works very well for mechanical components. You will see on the print preview that you can also control how each viewport prints, allowing you to print out the model as a render.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

imageQuickDrawTest-Preview.png
    imageQuickDrawTest-Model.png
    imageQuickDrawTest-Layout.png
This discussion has been closed.