How do I ADD annotation to diameter and other dimensions

I frequently add annotations to dimension.   This is very easy in Autocad LT, but seems impossible in Bricscad V13.   

Take for instance a counterbored hole which allows the head of a socket capscrew to sit flush with a surface.    In Autocad, I will dimension the through hole with the diameter dimensioning tool.   Then I will use the text and dimension editor to add the diameter and depth of the counterbore.  I can even put in comments like, "reamed, not drilled".   The editor offers symbols for counterbores, countersinks, the ability to mix font sizes, rotate characters, etc.    In Bricscad the dimension editor only gives one the ability to replace the dimension. You have a single line for entry,  with no access to symbols, font sizes, etc.    Perhaps there is another tool I am not aware of?

Our IT department has told me I can't continue to use Autocad LT2006, because of it's limited compatibility with Windows 7.   If we're going to have to spend $1000 to upgrade, I would rather it not be Autocad LT2013.  That program offers very few new features over 2006.   like the possibility of expanding to 3D, but if I can't continue to edit and update my over 1700 2D orthogonal drawings, then Bricscad will not be selected as our only CAD package.

Comments

• The only way I know is to click on the dimension, then in the Properties pallette under Text:Text Overrides add what you want.

Type <> to substitute for the actual dimension, then true distance will be preserved.

It's pretty basic, could use some embellishment I admit. Not so convenient hunting through the list of variables either.

• @ Jim Canale - As John suggests you can use the text override in the properties explorer or use Dimedit.  In either case, if you want to jazz the text up you have to manually enter the formatting codes (it's not hard but it is time consuming).  Basically the text is MText so you can use the formatting codes shown here http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/text-formatting-codes-in-mtext-objects-tip8640. Then just enter "<>" without the quotes to retrieve the dimension value automatically.  I imagine this would actually be fairly simple for Bricsys to add their MText editor to, so maybe you should raise a support request.  I'm sure the only reason it hasn't been done yet as nobody has raised the issue!

Regards
  • Thanks for the replies.  I've been trying to enter the symbol for a counterbore or countersink into the "text override" window, but all I have is the Unicode as shown in the Character map for the GDT font.   It is suppsedly U+ 006E.  I've tried holding down the alt key while I key in 6E, and holding down the ALT SHIFT keys while keying in 6E.   It doesn't seem to work.

This is very important to us.  I dimension a lot of counterbored and countersunk holes, and also annotate many linear dimensions too.    I don't want to completely delete the dimension, just add additional information.  
  • Jim, I know it's messy but you can add \fGDT|b0|i0;v to insert the CB symbol using GDT font for the symbol. (Or 'q', 'w' and 'x')

I had not used it, but found it by opening mtext and typing 'v' using its internal font setting then inspecting its contents in Properties.

Pasting that into a lisp could add it as an operation to act like a command from a menu.

• Ah, thanks for that tip! Having those symbols "natively" available in dimensioning text would be great but this looks like a usable work-around.
  • Here's a "cheat sheet" for Verisurf's GD&T font. To use the "\u+0000" convention, convert the decimal character offsets to hex. E.g., the "Deep" symbol would be inserted using "\u+00c9".

GDT Verisurf Font Sample Sheet.pdf

•  A while ago, I became very tired of running ddedit (or double clicking a dimension) and modifying the dimension text so that it had "(C/C)" beneath it.  So I wrote a quick script that allows a user to pick a dimension and it automatically adjusts the dimension text to read "<>\X(C/C)" where <> is the dimension text and \X forces the text follwoing the X below the dimension line.  I started to add up the time that this saved me in a typical set of house plans and I was quite surprised - the time added up very quickly.  Shoot me an email and I can send you the code - it works, but has no error checking or handling...
  • @Jim,

One of the things you may be missing is the ability to double click on a dimension to edit its text field (default in Acad). For some reason in BricsCAD it defaults to the property bar. You can however change this behaviour via the ._CUI, configuring double clicking on dimensions to use ._DDEDIT instead. The attached screen grabs show how to do this.

What I believe you are looking for is the ability to use MTEXT in dimensions, which as yet hasn't been implemented. i.e. edit dim text using the MTEXT editor.

In Windows an easy way to get special characters is to use the Character map. This allows you to simply copy and paste any special symbols you require. Further info on this is available here: Using Special Characters and Symbols with Text

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

imageMouseDblClickDimension-DDEDIT-Step-01.png
    imageMouseDblClickDimension-DDEDIT-Step-03.png
    imageMouseDblClickDimension-DDEDIT-Step-02.png
  •  In the attached drawing I created a dimension style GDT, which uses the GDT font style. If you copy/paste special characters of the GDT font from the Windows Character Map into the Text Override field you get the correct result. In the Text Override field letters display, but in the dimension text the letters are replaced by the special character. If you know which letter corresponds with the special character, there is no need to copy it from the Windows Character Map, you can type the letter in the Text Override field.

SpecialCharactersInDimensions.dwg

• Thanks everyone.  As a rank beginner, it is going to take me a while to fend through this stuff.  (CAD work is only one of my work functions.)
  • The solutions idfferent to MtmDedit are time expensive, annoyng, difficult... When I working I need to save time to think about the project, not about how I could edit the words. I dream the MtmDedit for V13 -even if it has not the efficiency of Autocad- it is very useful.

I feel nostalgia of the V12 with MtmDedit and of the old Autocad2000LT to correct dim with annotations...

•  Olivio, MtmDedit is not maintained by Bricsys.  You can try contacting the author through the store to see if they have intentions of updating for V13.
  • Scratch that last comment.  You can get the V13 update of MtmDedit directly from their website http://mtmlab.ru/files/arx/MtmdEdit.13.brx.zip
    Regards
  • .................If you copy/paste special characters of the GDT font from the Windows Character Map into the Text Override field you get the correct result.....

Louis,

Thanks.  I've been using the GDT font for this..
This discussion has been closed.