Hardware rendering?

Merry Christmas Happy New Year !!

3 days ago I made a support request with the text below. Glad they are busy, and sad they have not found time to answer yet. So, I try this way around:

I've just upgraded to ver. 13 Pro. On opening it says: "Hardware rendering is not supported on this machine. BricsCAD is falling back to software rendering" - what does this mean? I seem to be able to draw.

This coming Summer I plan renewing my PC - do I just download/install the Briscad 13 Pro software and use the product key again?

best
Claus Nybroe

Comments

• When I was using version 13 during the trial period I got the same message on an older computer (Compaq Presario 2002).......... I believe that this is probably an issue related to the video card, graphics memory available or both.  3D and 3D rendering need more memory capability for the newer software to avoid "crashing" the computer.......
  • Well, my PC is not that old, 2010 carrying i5 2,4 GhZ processor 4 GB RAM. Can open AutoCad and DraftSight OK
  • You are probably right Edward. I Googled hardware rendering. Seems not to be that big a problem "only" to use software rendering. Message might go away, when I get new stronger PC. Thanks!
  • The Redway3d render engine in Bricscad will use the graphics processor (GPU) on certain graphics cards when Bricscad is doing high quality renders (ie with shadows, reflections, material textures).  This is only an issue during rendering, and has no effect on 2D drafting performance.

The Bricscad system requirements mentions the supported graphics cards:
    http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=65
This discussion has been closed.