Bricscad not installing on Fedora-18

Fedora 18 is poised to hit the air in about 6days time.  So, i ran an installation of Bricscad-13.1.4-2.i386.rpm on a friend's machine.  Guess what?

[code]Transaction Check Error:
  file / from install of bricscadv13-13.1.14-1.i386 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.1-2.fc18.x86_64
  file /usr/bin from install of bricscadv13-13.1.14-1.i386 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.1-2.fc18.x86_64

Error Summary
-------------[/code]

What???

why should bricscad package even provide those and my trial period time is almost gone

Can someone look into this?

Regards
Oku, Onyeibo

Comments

• This is an unfortunate problem as I've nearly decided to throw down the bones for BricsCAD.

As a workaround, which is also unfortunate, I've been sure to install all the dependencies that were required from the failed yum install and then forced the install of BricsCAD V13 using rpm. These dependencies will likely be different depending on the install state of your system.

After that, I had to start it from a shell to see what else was likely missing.  Just like the Skype binary, which is also 32-bit, I had to install equivalent 32-bit packages for some that were already installed but missed by yum because they've already been installed as x86_64. Namely, mesa-dri-drivers.i686 and a couple of gtk libs.

I did this because I'm running a fresh install of F18 and didn't really have anything to lose.  Also, I think it's nothing more than a permissions issue that will hopefully be addressed sooner than later.

It works. Of course yum now complains about how the rpmdb was modified outside of yum, but it works.

• "This is an unfortunate problem as I've nearly decided to throw down the bones for BricsCAD"

Does this mean you are coming on board ?

Bricscad-Linux would welcome you - we need more users. But keep in mind the Bricscad-Linux is a work in progress. Much has been done but you will still see a lot of gaps in the program. Unfortunately development costs money. We do not have the pulling power of the Windows users. They say jump and you ask how high ! With the release of v13 for Linux we have another release of slow but steady improvements in the software. It installed flawlessly on OpenSuse 12.2. Also running well on Fedora 17 atm, but this may have been because v12 is already installed.

See it as an investment for something with a bright future, and follow its progress.
  • Well, yes, I will be coming on board.  In fact, my desire to support this linux
    port it is solidly 50% of the reason for purchasing it.  I had hoped to
    spend the trial period learning to use it (I come from Rhino and have
    kept myself pretty unfamiliar with ACAD) but then I stupidly decided to
    upgrade to F18.  

It's no big deal, however. I've only ever run Rhino in a VM, out of
    necessity--one I've gotten fairly sick of. But, because of the benefit
    of save states, it's kind of ideal to use [whatever] CAD in a VM.  

In any case, I'll keep checking on the compatibility with F18 (or 19
    when the time comes) and likely put F16 or 17 in a VM just for BricsCAD
    and give it a nice, sane 32-bit environment.

The other 50% of the reason is that I need a CAD application that will
    improve my workflow, which I suspect Bricscad will do if I can get it to
    the same level of competency that I have with Rhino.

And that doesn't require Windows in any way, shape or form.

I'll be making that purchase soon.

• Hello,

We are using an automatic tool to generate RPM packages from DEB files. Having no way to discriminate between custom directories and system directories it adds all as pertaining to BricsCAD (Linux) package in the .SPEC file and this creates conflicts on Fedora 18. We plan to discontinue using this tool in the future and build the package directly but, for the time being, we did some post processing to remove the incorrect fields from the .SPEC file. The fix should be available in one of the following bug fixing releases.

Best regards,
    Alexandru.
  • Hello,

We are using an automatic tool to generate RPM packages from DEB files. Having no way to discriminate between custom directories and system directories it adds all as pertaining to BricsCAD (Linux) package in the .SPEC file and this creates conflicts on Fedora 18. We plan to discontinue using this tool in the future and build the package directly but, for the time being, we did some post processing to remove the incorrect fields from the .SPEC file. The fix should be available in one of the following bug fixing releases.

Best regards,
    Alexandru.

This, along with a move away from 32bit libraries to 64bit - would make installation a hell of a lot easier for everyone.
  • News!

The latest update, released today (or yesterday for everybody else), 13.1.17-1 installs with yum and without issues on a fully updated Fedora 18.

13.1.14-1 still does not; but who cares!
  • Good news for english and other languages but czech version is still aviable only in version 13.1.14-1... I need to install czech package on Fedora 18...
This discussion has been closed.