How to create a customized line type

Hi What i would like to do is create a new hidden type line but i want to customize the distance of each dash and the distance between them. I would also like to change the angle of the dashed line. Any ideas. At present all i can do is use the linetype scale to change the length of the dashed line

Comments

•  Hi Tim,

if you inspect the iso.lin / default.lin files you will see how simple linetypes are created. If your going to play, suggest that you make a copy of these first. complex linetypes, such as Fenceline1 ----0---0---0---0--- require you to create and reference a separate shape file .shp, which you have to compile to .shx to use. When creating linetypes you also need to consider the base units (metric / imperial) & target linetype scale.

Ralph Grabowski has an ebook called customizing BricsCAD, which gives details on creating linetypes and hatches. Its rather arcane stuff, you may find it easier to search the web and just use ones others have created. I include some in a sample BricsCAD CAD Library available from my website.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

• I know little about the linetype definitions, but I can tell you the following:

Positive numbers represent a dash
    Negative numbers represent a gap
    0 represents a dot.
  • showing my complete ignorance here.
    What is a hidden line used for?
    I've never thought I had the need in my limited Cad planwork so never looked for a use.

I Googled. Plenty on them but couldn't find why they exist.
    So after you get your breath back and wipe up the spilled beer or coffee after reading this can someone (gently) inform this ignorant country hick please.
  • Consider an island in a kitchen which has a 12" overhang on one side.  In a floor plan I would use a hidden line to show the surface of the wall or cabinet below the counter so that there was something to attach electrical receptacles to.  Dishwashers are typically shown on floor plans with the portion within the cabinet in hidden lines so that it is clear that the dishwasher takes up space inside the cabinet. 

Basically any edge that needs to be shown to make the drawing clear but that would not be visible if you looked at the finished object can use a hidden line type. 
  • thanks jason That sounds reasonable easy to try. i shall let you know how i go
  • Thanks every one. i found the solution and for those others that may want to do the same thing here is the answer
    *SewTest2,SewTest2 __ / / / / __ / / / / __ / / / / __ / / / / __
    A,15,-2,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,r=-45,y=-0.1,s=1],-2,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,r=-45,y=-0.1,s=1],-2,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,r=-45,y=-0.1,s=1],-2,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,r=-45,y=-0.1,s=1],-2

I found some useful info on complex line types at http://www.afralisp.net/archive/lisp/ltype1.htm which helped to understand the configurable parts
  • thanks Martin
    I assumed something like this but never understood how it works.
    regards
    (I posted a reply a few days ago but it never 'arrived', not sure what happened there)
This discussion has been closed.