Crash autoreport idea

I think, that Bricsys team should consider some sort of automatic crash reporting. I don't know, how other users of Linux version are happy with quality of Bricscad, but I can say, that if I'll examine and report every crash, I'll have very little time for the real work. I think, that automatic crash reporting system can improve this situation.

Comments

• Maybe it could - but I am not sure it would.
    If such a system could really record the context that lead to a crash, it might indeed be helpful - but just automatically sending a backtrace of each and every crash (reproducible or not) without really knowing what the user did in what drawing would probably just flood the support with data of limited use.
    So I guess the developers will know best for themselves if such a thing makes sense...

But I agree that the quality of the linux version is not really satisfying. For my liking, new 'stable' releases get pushed out far too quickly, meaning that there is not enough time to fix reported bugs before new ones are introduced. I think the best solution would be a development model like McNeel uses with rhino, where registered users get access to betas of the upcoming release, while the stable release still gets maintenance updates. But maintaining two versions at a time is expensive, and the linux version does not generate a lot of cash, so there is probably little hope for this.
  •  According to this: https://bricsys.com/common/support/forumthread.jsp?id=20436 I feel some hope with upcoming Bricscad release.

But if I should describe my impression of work with Bricscad: I feel like a betatester, not like a paying customer. By counting hours spent isolating and reporting bug and take into account my usual per hour income, I should get one free upgrade from Bricsys ;-). I'am kidding ... a bit ...
  • I have similar feelings - that's why I postponed upgrading until a version that can seriously be considered 'stable' gets published.
    I also have hope that the final release of the 13.1 series might be of such quality, if the devs really keep all libs unchanged and incorporate all the bugfixes that went into the windows version prior to 13.2.
    13.2 on linux should then probably carry the 'beta' tag for quite a while...
  •  By my opinion, most crashes emerges from raster engine and from drawing explorer.

•  Yesterday I was unable to print or export my work due to a bug with rasters (I reported it in august 2012 - nearly one year old) and in desperation I looked for some solution .. and I found Draftsight. It has Linux version as well. Now it is in development stage, but it printed my drawing without any problems. And it is much faster when working with big rasters. And GUI looks better, for example I can leave references manager open and work with drawing, in Bricscad, when I want to turn on/off reference during my work, I must open drawing explorer, turn off reference, close drawing explorer, do some work, open drawing explorer, turn on ref, .... Morevoer this I alerady metinone in this pos: https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/15630. I'am not saying that Draftsight is without flaws, I did not tested it in real work, but perhaps Bricsys should take some inspiration from Draftsight.
This discussion has been closed.