When will new 13.2 for linux release

Hi guys, the 13.2 for windows is out, When will new 13.2 for linux  release?

Comments

• Who knows.
    At the moment, it looks as if the windows version gets at least 10 times more updates than the linux version - the ratio seems to worsen with each major release. If it goes on like that, Bricsys should rather come clean about their linux strategy...

On the other hand, I did always get immediate feedback on the bugs I've reported, and most of them were meanwhile reported to be fixed in the code - I just can't understand why no new builds are made available.
  • Would also welcome an indication when the new version comes out! Looking forward to it.
  • Hello,

we are currently working on a few large structural tasks
    - wxwidgets upgrade (sizable jump from 2.8 to 2.9)
    - 64 bit version (genuine 64 bit version, not just 64 bit installer)
    - complete redesign of our automated testing/building/publishing system

These tasks have to be finished before we can make a 13.2 linux version.
    The implementation of all three tasks is ongoing, progress is ok.
    I expect we can start making a new version in the coming weeks.

>[bugs] were meanwhile reported to be fixed in the code
    Indeed, quite a few Support Requests have been solved in the meantime.  We want to publish a new version including the fixes asap.

>Looking forward to it.
    Great, so am I, I'm curious about the impact of the structural changes.

Kind Regards
    Tijs
  • thanks Tijs, your reply make me feel confidence about bricdcad.

• [code]Indeed, quite a few Support Requests have been solved in the meantime.  We want to publish a new version including the fixes asap.
    [/code]

If this means that there will be a pure bugfix-release based on the 'old' codebase sometime soon, than that's real good news as far as I'm concerned.
    Switching to the new wxwidgets plus 64 bit will almost certainly not be painless...

• Good news Tijs, keep up the good work!
    Naturally the resources spent on each BricsCAD version is depending on the number of users and I am quite sure Linux users is a minority at the time. But just like the windows operating system have quickly turned into a reduntant piece of software itself on the home user market, I think this trend will continue on the professional market and its user base is not likely to grow.
    No matter if Android (on ARM or x86), Ubuntu or some operating system we have yet to see will be the next dominant on the professional market, it is a good probability that it will be running a Linux kernel.
  • "Can't wait" to get hands on the 13.2 for Linux, really.... Hope the work on the Linux branch continues without dramatic obstacles....
  • I look forward to the real 64 bit version. Now I have to run BricsCAD on an old 32 bit laptop ..

Hope it will install on Debian.
  •  2 Nisse> You can run 32bit version on 64 bit system, I'am running it on 64bit Ubuntu.
  • That's a lot of progress Tijs, thanks. 

A pure 64-bit installer makes sense.  Even now, Bricscad on 64bit-Fedora works only after creating some '/usr/lib/blah-blah' symlinks to '/usr/lib64/blah-blah'.  There's the key-ring issue too.  Nvidia propriety driver simply crashes Bricscad.   I guess with all that requiring attention, I may be asking too much in my thread (https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/20819#20819).  I just wish there will be a BIM module for Linux (in time) for an important Bricscad talk scheduled for the 22nd of July 2013.
  • On Ubuntu 12.04 onwards the PAE extension is automatically installed on 32 bit versions allowing up to 16 GB of RAM to be addressed so I doubt there is a significant performance gain - although it is good that Bricscad will run on both systems even if it is not full 64 bit. I certainly have no problems running Bricscad on 32 bit Ubuntu 13.04 (on an Intel i7-3770 CPU with 8 GB RAM). 

FYI the speed comparison between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 12.04 is here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_3264&num=1

and of Ubuntu 13.04 is here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_x86_1304&num=1

Will probably change to the 64 bit version when the full 64 bit Bricscad 13.2 version comes out, hopefully soon.
  • we are running two systems 64-Bit Mint 13 LTE with NVidia GTS-450 without any problems but it would
    be nice using a real 64-Bit Bricscad for better performance. I hope the 13.2 will be released soon.
  • Any news on the new Linux release planning? Please.
This discussion has been closed.