how to import msword text into bricscad?

i want to import formatted msword text into bricscad. what is the procedure i have to follow. is there any addin like autoword for autocad to bricscad?

i want to import msword tables or excel tables etc?

what is the easiest method?

Comments

• Hello Kotesh,

Have you tried the obvious?

Copy your area of interest from Word/Excel.. and Try Paste / Paste Special using all the different options?

The answer to your question can be several depending on what exactly you want to do.

Best Regards
    Rakesh Rao

http://rakeshrao.typepad.com
  • thanks for the new addin.

basically i want to type up and down arrows. these are easily typed in msword. when i copy them to bricscad, some foriegn symbols are coming in place of

up and down arrows.

• Kotesh,

In some cases pasting OLE objects into BricsCAD doesn't work that well, in some cases the format or the font of the text gets changed. Other disadvantages are not being able to specify a target text size, and distortion if you stretch the object by its grips.

An alternative approach is to print from the Word/Excel document to an image or PDF. Then attach the image to your drawing. this has the advantage of keeping the format exactly as it was shown in the parent doc, and can be scaled easily. This is a general approach that you could use for any application, its not restricted to just Word/Excel. A further advantage is that it retains document ownership e.g. Perhaps its a spreadsheet generated by an Engineer who doesn't want you mucking around with his formula, printing to PDF removes that issue. Of course there are also disadvantages to this approach. You have additional files to maintain, and you need to ensure that if the source document is changed that a new PDF is generated.

If you're pasting text into BricsCAD and you don't get the characters you expect, or just see ????, then it is probably that the font you're using doesn't support these characters. In these cases changing to a different font usually fixes the issue. More on this type of thing here:
    http://www.cadconcepts.co.nz/using-special-characters-and-symbols-with-text/

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• thanks a lot. your link has helped me.

now i want to convert .dwg into a searchable pdf. where are the options? how to make .shx fonts to searchable text instead of graphic symbols?

This discussion has been closed.