FEA analysis on Brics 3D models

I know this isn't a typical question but was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper solution to FEA programs than what Sworks, Adesk & etc. offers. We fabricate heavy duty rings for an autoclave type pressure vessel and I have them created in 3D with Bricscad but no way of running an analysis on them. Currently we use these clunky excel sheets and "sneeze" charts so I'm trying to find a better way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Have you considered Scilab or Octave as the analysis engine in place of Excel? Both are FOSS math/matrix packages with some similarity to Matlab.

A web search for ["finite element analysis" scilab OR octave] returns a number of promising hits but I'm not qualified to judge FEA much beyond "Wow, cool pictures."  ;-)
  • Statik: FEM System MEANS V9 für BricsCAD
  • I wanted to send this as a PM, but could not find how:

Hi Tim,

Geomagic Design, by 3D-Systems, (used to be called Alibre Design) just introduced FEA, which is based on the SimWise Technology.
    3D-Systems calls it "Simulate" (as optional part of their Geomagic Design software "package").
    In the forums is an interesting thread about it. Especially this comment about the product seems promising. (They also talk about "Dynamics" in the forum which is based on the SimWise "Motion" as far as I understand and wich is a prerequisite for "Simulate".)
    The price is, I think, lower than FEA for Sworks, Adesk & etc.. However, the Geomagic Design base + the FEA add-on might together also be up to 5k US$ (I only know the base price in Euro and the add-on price mentioned in the forum thread might also depend on the reseller). But at least it could be an alternative.

Kind regards, Stephan
  • Just saw that SimWise has a price list (pdf) on their website.
    It could be better buying it "directly" from SimWise (or their reseller), depending on the details of your needs. Obviously that would inlcude more im-/export interfaces, as far as I read.

(BTW, I am not a FEA professional. I am just quoting the words that I read on these websites.)
This discussion has been closed.