Need help drawing unusual object.

Hi everyone.  I'm still not very familiar with the 3D tools of BricsCAD, because most of my work is 2D only.

I have to model a very odd shape.   I have attached a picture of it.   The V-shaped cuts in the disk reduce in depth as you go from the edge of the disk to the center.   I am not concerned about the threaded hole in the center.    I  assume I will probably be creating a disk and a triangular section, then subtracting the triangle from the disk.  But I have no idea how to create the triangle, or align it.  

Ideas anyone?

Comments

• Hi Jim,

There are numerous ways you could go about to produce this object. Commands to explore:
    • _UCS. Short for User Coordinate System. This command allows you to re-orientate your drawing plane. From there you can draw using the commands you're already familiar with (_LINE, _PLINE, _CIRCLE) relative to your constructed UCS. To avoid getting confused, recommend that you use _3DCONTEXT. The grid (F7) will give a visual indication of your current UCS allignment. I would also make sure _UCSICON is on, as this provides another visual indicator.
    • _PLINE. Generally 3D objects start with a closed 2D object, which you then _EXTRUDE, or _REVOLVE to create your 3D solid. You can configure your _SETTINGS to specify whether the 2D primitives are deleted on creation of the 3D object (DELOBJ).
    • _ALIGN. This command offers an alternate way of positioning objects, which avoids the need to create multiple UCS.
    • DUCS (F6) can also be useful. When turned on it will automatically align your UCS to the face of the object your cursor is positioned over. You could create a 3D solid, such as a cube for construction purposes, that would allow you to quickly orientate your UCS without using additional commands.
    Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

image3dShape-Triangulated.png
  •  Jason,  I think I understand the use of UCS.  But I don't understand how you made the triangular shapes.  I don't see a 3D command for that.  And how did you orient them at an angle to the top of the disk?
  • Jim you can just make a triangle and extrude it and then rotate and move it into position. I Think Jason is close but I think you have to make the wedges from the center and out and then tilt them slightly . Finally I placed a small cylinder in the center and subtracted it.
    imagewedge2.jpg
    imagewedge1.jpg
    imagewedge3.jpg
  •  Thank you both.  I will keep trying.  I am realizing I am facing two major problems.  One is I don't have a good video card (or good drivers).  Too many artifacts and wierdness in the display.    The second is I have worked 2D so long, that I am having a great deal of trouble keeping oriented in 3D space.  
This discussion has been closed.