BRX vs. TX

Hi guys,

I am trying to make my C# work with Bricscad. All works fine, I can even step debug trough my C# code but have a question related to libraries my project is referencing.
Reading
 http://www.bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_US/V12/DevRef/index.html?page=source/TX_01.htm
I learned I need to refer three dlls: 'BrxMgd.dll', 'TD_Mgd.dll' and 'TD_MgdBrep.dll' - this works very well. Then I investigated C# and a VB.NET sample project calling the managed wrapper classes shipped with Bricscad. I found that all sample projects are referencing Teigha library. Then I read
http://www.bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_US/V12/DevRef/index.html?page=source/TX_01.htm
This compares ARX and TX (where TX has some relation to Teigha libraries?) and suggests that there is better alternative: BRX

Not sure if this is clear enough. Could you please add a little bit more explanation? To me it looks like using TX makes my application incompatible with AutoCAD. Although I am not intending to use AutoCAD I would like to learn more principles behind and make a strategic decision when starting with my application.

Many thanks for your effort.

Best regards
Jiri

Comments

• I always think of .TX as an interface to the database whereas, BRX interfaces both the application and database.   
    IMHO, if you want to work in C++, BRX is going to give you the most bang for the buck. 

Cheers
    Dan

• Do I have to use Teigha libraries when using C#?
    All C# examples shipped with Bricscad refer to Teigha. To me it looks like it is required.
    Not sure if I understand it correctly.
    Many thanks.
    Best regards
    Jiri
  • Yes you need both, TD_Mgd contains wrappers for Database objects and BrxMgd contains wrappers for Application objects.
    TD_Mgd is quite a different animal than native coding in .TX, so the comparison you read regarding
    .Brx vs. .TX is not relevant for .NET.

The .NET API (BrxMgd , TD_Mgd and TD_MgdBrep) is written to be code compatible with other platforms so as
    to make porting applications easy, However, .NET applications can never be binary compatible due to references.

Cheers

Dan

• many, many thanks
    regards
    jiri
This discussion has been closed.